Traps bug?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Well, to make up for the insufficient damage done by the traps, you could occasionally have yourself a "party attack". Preferably after the bard has had too much to drink at the local tavern. I can hear dissention in the ranks a comin' :lol:
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

dragonbait wrote: Death and Drek! That's horrible. Oh well, what can ya do. I don't remember the traps not working when I played it back in the late 80's/early 90's so I think it must be an emulator issue. I guess the only way to find out is to find a still working C64 off ebay or amazon etc. and an original BTII disk. (actually make that multiple numerous endless turn over the disks heheheh)
Well... I've got the necessary things sitting in my closet. I'm sure some old character disks with high-level characters are lying around. It's been about 20 years since I cranked up BT2 in its original glory.

I must say, though, the traps seem to work the same on the emulator as I remember them working in the original game. Moreover, the best tactics hardly ever step on a trap, so even if the traps are hopelessly weak, you aren't missing much.

The Amiga version traps sort of work--a Basilisk Snare stoned my Bard on the 2nd level of Dargoth's Tower yesterday. When the priest snapped him out of it, he looked annoyed and wistful.

You might give the Apple ][ version a shot before abdicating to the cruddy PC version. The Apple ][ has struck me as the "meanest" version of the first game, though I never actually tried the Apple version of BT2.
Death and drek? WTF?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

You folk do realize the LEVI/MALE spell helps your party evade traps right?
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

yes.
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

Darendor wrote:You folk do realize the LEVI/MALE spell helps your party evade traps right?
Actually that hadn't occurred to me in this discussion. Thanks! I must take that into account when I run the tests.

My impression from the manual is that levitation is supposed to protect you from only certain kinds of traps, e.g., pits, but maybe the programming never got that subtle.
Death and drek? WTF?
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

dragonbait wrote:Well, to make up for the insufficient damage done by the traps, you could occasionally have yourself a "party attack". Preferably after the bard has had too much to drink at the local tavern. I can hear dissention in the ranks a comin' :lol:
:lol: Not ready to resort to that yet.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Horpner wrote:I must say, though, the traps seem to work the same on the emulator as I remember them working in the original game. Moreover, the best tactics hardly ever step on a trap, so even if the traps are hopelessly weak, you aren't missing much.
Are you talking about the C64 version? If you walk onto a trap without using any protection spells like LEVI\MALE etc....In the C64 emulated version it nevers does anything to your party. No poison, no stoning, no damage etc....

I remember that originals back in the day didnt work that way. Im guessing if you fire up the original they will work like they are supposed to, but Im not sure how you would go about getting them from the C64 uploaded to the internet, and even if you did it appears it might be the emulation that is the issue (Even though I have tried both Vice and CCS64).

I realize that if you use the protection spells that traps dont slow you down much, but its part of the game strategy that I don't want to play without.

The cool thing is I starting using the Apple IIGS version and I have to say its gotta be the best looking version, even better than the Amiga one.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Well after a year or so of not being satisfied with modern RPG's Im back to the Bard's Tale series once again.

I still cant find a version of the C64 version where the dang traps work! And even weirder I tried running the apple emulator and the same thing occurs on that version too....weird.

The Dos, Amiga and AppleIIGS all work normally but I really like the C64 version best.

Dang.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

This is hoping against hope, but on BTI the memory locations for flags for the dungeon levels is from FA00 to FBE3.

Try changing some of those memory locations to a "10" (that's a hex value) and see if that does anything. :?
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

I would but I have no idea how to do that.
Saxon1974

Re: Traps bug?

Post by Saxon1974 »

So I found a working version of the C64 version of the game a while back where traps work. Would a site moderator like me to send them the files so they can upload to this site? Let me know!