TRANSFERING CHARACTERS FORM BARDS TALE 1

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
DedRob

TRANSFERING CHARACTERS FORM BARDS TALE 1

Post by DedRob »

HI,
Does anyone know how i can transfer the characters from bards tale one to the Destiny Knight on msdos version as it tells me that i need a character disk and i dont know were the save file is or what it is called. i know how to get to the bards tale files.

any help much appreciated

Thanks
Thou art in the Guild of Adventurers!

DedRob
Chaney

Re: TRANSFERING CHARACTERS FORM BARDS TALE 1

Post by Chaney »

DedRob wrote:HI,
Does anyone know how i can transfer the characters from bards tale one to the Destiny Knight on msdos version as it tells me that i need a character disk and i dont know were the save file is or what it is called. i know how to get to the bards tale files.

any help much appreciated

Thanks
I sent the command summary card to your email address. C
When in doubt, kick your neighbors dog!
DedRob

Post by DedRob »

Thanks for the command card but it does not help i know how to transfer them but i cant find them i dont have a bards tale 1 character disk. i need to find where the save files are kept so that i can transfer them to disk and then transfer them to the desting knight.
Thou art in the Guild of Adventurers!

DedRob
Chaney

Xfer of chars

Post by Chaney »

Try taking the TW or TPW extensioned files from BT1 and put them in the BT II folder. It has been awhile, but that is my memory. Hope it helps. C
When in doubt, kick your neighbors dog!
Jazual

Post by Jazual »

Hi there!

I just discovered this awesome site, and talk about major flashbacks to skipping days in junior high to play this on my C64! Thank you so much.

Ok, with that out of the way, I just came across the same dilemma. Copying the .tpw files directly into the Destiny Knight folder didn't work (DK uses the .tw extension), and renaming the extensions just resulted in corrupt characters... all characters ended up as warriors with garbled stats, inventory, and so on.

Since I can't get DOSBox to recognize the floppy (didn't even try), I launched the dk.exe directly in XP and the game launches fine. I put all the .tpw files from my BT 1 folder on a floppy disk, and the ran import option and it still didnt work!!! So that got me thinking... what makes a character disk a character disk? Beats the shit out of me. I then copied the entire BT 1 folder onto the same floppy, launched DK, and wammo! The Load Bard one member option worked!

Hope this works for you.

-J
ssfsx17

Post by ssfsx17 »

In DOSbox, you can set the A drive to be your BT1 folder. For example:

mount a: c:\games\dosgames\bt\

Then, BT2 will see it. Warning: some things that formerly could be equipped in BT1 are unequippable in BT2, such as Wargloves for the bard.
"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name
Marco

Post by Marco »

ssfsx17 wrote:In DOSbox, you can set the A drive to be your BT1 folder. For example:

mount a: c:\games\dosgames\bt\

Then, BT2 will see it. Warning: some things that formerly could be equipped in BT1 are unequippable in BT2, such as Wargloves for the bard.
However, there are some things unequippable in BT1 that will be equippable in BT2. Like the Spectre Snare for the paladin. So make sure you bring along an extra one if you had a paladin in BT1, since the 'Snare is easily the best weapon in BT2 as it is in BT1.

Marco.