C64 version question

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
Marco

C64 version question

Post by Marco »

I'm planning on firing up Thief of Fate again, except this time I'd like to play the C64 version on emulator. In the past I have played the Apple II version, but every version I have found seems to have a lot of corrupted monster pictures.

My question is this: do any of the C64 versions have problems of this kind? Will I finally be able to see all the monster pictures I missed out on from the Apple version? (my understanding is the graphics are very similar between the two versions)

Marco.
Banky

Post by Banky »

Hi Marco,
there might occur some graphic issues when a monster joins your party. I had once an Illusion that was shown as a black spot.

However, I've just finished Thief of Fate on the C64 emulator and there wasn't a single corrupted monster of the ones I encountered.
And since you don't need any creatures to join your party and the C64 version is by far the best and most fun to play, it's worth a shot, anyway ;-)
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Banky wrote:Hi Marco,
there might occur some graphic issues when a monster joins your party. I had once an Illusion that was shown as a black spot.

However, I've just finished Thief of Fate on the C64 emulator and there wasn't a single corrupted monster of the ones I encountered.
And since you don't need any creatures to join your party and the C64 version is by far the best and most fun to play, it's worth a shot, anyway ;-)
Why do you think the C64 version if the best?

I have been hearing that but I haven't got to it yet (Still playing BTII). Im a big C64 fan though so that's probably the version I was going to play anyway.
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

I know what you mean about corrupted monster images in the Apple IIe version. Even the Magic Mouth image won't display. Unfortunate.
Banky

Post by Banky »

Saxon1974 wrote:
Why do you think the C64 version if the best?
It's been ages since I played the Dos and Amiga versions. But I remember some issues like:

You need to press K to enter houses but you can't use J+L for turning around. So you need arror keys+K for walking which is unnecessarily complicated.

To fasten the combat scrolling you had to keep a button pushed. And by doing so you can accidentily skip the treasure+exp part.

You can't type the spells you have to scroll them in a list. Simply ridiculous.

You have to press ESC to continue in the character screen. "Space" would have been much more comfortable.

The graphics were way behind 16 bit standards.

Overall I remember the Amiga version to be quite unplayable. I think the game was originally designed for C64 (or Apple?) and later sloppily converted for Dos and Amiga.