BTII Map Set - Preview

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Darendor

BTII Map Set - Preview

Post by Darendor »

I'm working on the Destiny Knight map set and wanted to upload a preview of The Tombs Level 3...

Horpner

Post by Horpner »

That kicks butt. I love the way the snare flashes.
Death and drek? WTF?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

The Snare is on a seperate map. I figure it's easier that way.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Very nice! There are tons of decent Bard's Tale I maps floating around on the internet, but thorough maps with the kind of attention to detail you're paying are not available for Destiny Knight, to say nothing of Thief of Fate.

I started a super-detailed set of maps for BT 2 myself decades ago, but this project fizzled out by the 3rd or 4th floor of Dargoth's Tower. Now it looks like what you're creating is going to make my pathetic, hand-written maps obsolete. Keep up the good work!

Marco.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Alas, my maps are not "perfect" in that I don't note trap locations and sometimes I think they look a bit ugly, particularly if there's say 35 special events to put in the legend. :?

But thanks. 8)
Marco

Post by Marco »

Oh, I didn't notice there were no traps. Still, very nice maps.

The special squares were a major problem with my BT 2 map sets. In BT 1, there weren't that many "specials" -- darkness, spinners, traps, antimagic zones, HP drains, and the occasional "smoke in your eyes" spots. Very rarely did they stack more than two of these in the same square.

BT 2, unfortunately, has more types -- darkness, spinners, traps, antimagic zones, silent zones, HP drains, MP drains, "odd" zones that neutralize SOSI. There was a spot on the second level of the Dark Domain dungeon that had lots of small rooms with one of each of these special squares -- it was helpful since we found out what each of these squares did and how they would show up on SOSI. Unfortunately, multiple types are frequently stacked on top of each other in BT 2, even outside of the snare areas. This makes thorough maps very difficult to make, because the notation can get very complicated.

Marco.