C64 Dungeon Disk Layout

Any developer realated stuff
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

That's some excellent work, Twoflower. Have you been able to change monster images around by playing with this?
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

Darendor wrote:That's some excellent work, Twoflower. Have you been able to change monster images around by playing with this?
All files on the dungeon (aswell as most of the city-) disk have now been documented save for the files located between NM02-NM1C. Changing and exchanging the monster-images are quite trivial - understanding the image format is not. I will post my documentation/listing of the image files (NM50-90) later today.
/Twoflower
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

Documentation of the image-files, as promised above - picked from both sides of the disk (City + Dungeon). After all, ther game is file-based and it won't keep beeing a two diskside game when some compression is added.

I don't have a clue about the correct monster-connection of all these images - after all, I played the tape-version which didn't feature all these fancy pics. :-)

Code: Select all

NM50	The Guild.
NM51	Garth's Equipment Shoppe.
NM52	The Inn.
NM53	The outside of an Inn.
NM54	Temple.
NM55	Empty house A.
NM56	Review Board.
NM57	The outside of a Temple.
NM58	The outside of The Guild.
NM59	The outside of Garth's.
NM5A	The outside of a house A.
NM5B	The outside of a house B.
NM5C	The outside of a house C.
NM5B	The outside of a house D.
NM5E	Barbarian.
NM5F	Hobbit / Goblin.
NM60	Warrior.
NM61	Magician.
NM62	Zombie.
NM63	Golem?
NM64	Dragon.
NM65	Witch?
NM66	Skeleton.
NM67	Thief.
NM68	Dog / Wolf.
NM69	Old man.
NM6A	Spider.
NM6B	Orc.
NM6C	Eye.
NM6D	Priest / High Priest.
NM6E	Monk.
NM6F	Paladin.
NM70	Hydra.
NM71	Poltergeist?
NM72	Crystal Golem?
NM73	Chest.
NM74	Treasure.
NM75	Statue.
NM76	Gate.
NM77	Vampire Lord
NM78	Lich
NM79	Giant.
NM7A	Michael Cranford.
NM7B	Kylearan.
NM7C	Mangar.
NM7D	Magic Mouth.
NM7E	Man w. Sword / Mad God.
NM7F	Angel.
NM80	Goblin.
NM81	Barbarian.
NM82	Ghoul?
NM83	Empty house B.
NM84	Empty house C.
NM85	Empty house D.
NM86	Wizard with spinning globe? Roscoe?
NM87	Outside of an Inn, night.
NM88	Outside of a Temple, night.
NM89	Outside of The Guild, night.
NM8A	Outside of Garth's, night.
NM8B	Outside of house A, night.
NM8C	Outside of house B, night.
NM8D	Outside of house C, night.
NM8E	Outside of house D, night.
NM8F	Statue, night.
NM90	Gate, night.
/Twoflower
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Are each of those files just pure raw data encoding then?
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

Yes, they are pure datafiles containing the images and the animations. There is no codesnippets in these packages. The data is not in any way normal for beeing a C-64 image - it clearly uses some kind of compression and possibly difference-coding for the animation (=each frame in the animation takes note only of the changes between each frame, it doesn't update the entire picture).

According to Michael Cranfords credits in the building opposite The Guild, the animation packer is made by Burger Betty Heineman herself. Scouring through the code which reads the datafile might prove an opening to this mystery - but approaching Burger Betty might be more valid. :-)

Concerning the question about the "strange teleportation" you asked yesterday, ZeroZero told me that this is the switch turning walls to doors and vice-versa. I will try to compile a file-list which is as complete as possible later, containing the files on the two disksides.
/Twoflower
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Twoflower wrote:Yes, they are pure datafiles containing the images and the animations. There is no codesnippets in these packages. The data is not in any way normal for beeing a C-64 image - it clearly uses some kind of compression and possibly difference-coding for the animation (=each frame in the animation takes note only of the changes between each frame, it doesn't update the entire picture).

According to Michael Cranfords credits in the building opposite The Guild, the animation packer is made by Burger Betty Heineman herself. Scouring through the code which reads the datafile might prove an opening to this mystery - but approaching Burger Betty might be more valid. :-)

Concerning the question about the "strange teleportation" you asked yesterday, ZeroZero told me that this is the switch turning walls to doors and vice-versa. I will try to compile a file-list which is as complete as possible later, containing the files on the two disksides.
Burger only stopped by once to make two posts and hasn't returned. I wish she would as her insight would be quite invaluable.

Did you two need a comprehensive set of dungeon maps to work with, by the way?