Some notes, thoughts, gripes, etc.

Ok, so I created a team as follows:

Warrior
Paladin
Bard
Rogue
Conjurer
Magician

I've levelled up these guys by a combination of legitimate dungeon crawling in the Scarlet Bard plus the Catacombs, and judicious sector editing. ;)

So now I have characters with basically 18s across the board and the Conjurer and Magician are now on their way to being Archmages.

Here's the problem.

My Warrior and Paladin are becoming absolutely kickass fighters, but because I HAVE to have my bard's Bardsword equipped for him to have unlimited songs, he's becoming less effective as a fighter.

Also: My Rogue, while excellent at disarming traps, is becoming redundant because I'm at the stage now where my magic users aren't going to live or die on a couple of TRZP spells on chests.

Now, ***SPOILERS, SEE END OF THIS POST*** The question is, should I drop the Rogue, shove the Bard in his slot, or drop the Bard except for when I need him?

And in place of the Bard slot, should I level up a Monk or a Hunter? Both, from my past experience, are absolute freakin' badasses once they get levelled up enough.

Comments welcome. :D

--

Spoiler: I need a Bard to keep around for Harkyn's Castle to sit his ass in a chair.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Rogues are pretty much useless until BT3. I'd be giving him the boot and replacing him with a hunter ASAP.
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Bard can be replaced by PHDO I believe.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Pfft, screw kicking the bard out. Who the hell else is gonna fire that Fire Horn at those them berserkers? :?
Quantum Reality

Post by Quantum Reality »

Ok, the Rogue's gone. :P he's not much of a fighter anyway, so I'll sell all his stuff to Garth's and then byebye...

So, Hunter or Monk? Hmm. Decisions, decisions.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Hunter def pays off in the long run - one-hit instant kill is hard to beat. I've not used monks much, although everyone says they're good - but I'm working slowly through BT1 with one at the moment, so I'll let you know how it goes!
Quantum Reality

Monks are already paying off - I've levelled my monk up enough that his AC just PLUNGED to LO after only level 16ish? and being equipped with a Mithril Scale.

And I got rid of his Mithril Axe and damn he's killer with his bare hands - can strike 4 times for ~100 pts of damage. I'm gonna love this guy. Especially once I get him to all 18s and being able to hit up to 8 times for umpty points of damage. :D

Oh yeah, here's his stats so far - and yeah, I did a little creative sector editing after I had already gotten him to like 30000 points upon which the review board said you gotta take him up another 25000 :p

tpth

Post by tpth »

Yeah, my monk is now at level 9 and already tearing shit up. Substantially better than a warrior of the same level, although his hit points are terrible as his constitution is still only 12. But yeah, excellent character - not sure why it's taken me 20 years to experiment with monks. I seem to recall having one in BT2, but never BT1. Live and learn etc etc
Ether

Post by Ether »

The monk is probably better short term, while the hunter is better long term.

If you plan on keeping this party through to Bard's Tale 3, both the Hunter and the Monk are superior to the Warrior and the Paladin.

I myself alway hung onto the Rogue and kept the Bard and slot number 3. I just had him use the Fire/Frost/Flame Horn in most situations, and I never realized what a Bardsword did, so I just gave him a better weapon.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

The bardsword, afaik, keeps his songs w/o drinking...
Quantum Reality

Yeah, it does. Not much need for a rogue when my mages have ~600 spell points each and can both cast TRZP.