The Begining

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
red viking

The Begining

Post by red viking »

With such an amazing game... really the precursor to most of the RPG's we have today. It is so great to be able to play it... after so long. A travel into Nostalgia if you will. Anyway, I was just wondering.. if anyone had any strategies.. for newbies that are just getting aquinted with the game.

my main suggestion would be.. to have your characters at 4th of 5th level.. before entering the wine cellers..

ciao

Post by Guest »

BT1 is tougher in the beginning than the later games. It's pretty easy to get your characters hacked to bits even in town. I usually look for fights in the empty buildings right next to a temple, then go heal after every fight. It's a lot cheaper than resurrecting someone.

Fighting in Skara Brae at night is a decent interim step beween daytime city fights and the wine cellar. It also gets you a bit more gold, which is always precious in the early game.

I don't even attempt to go in dungeons until I can cast warstrike, starflare, or dragon breath, and flesh restore is a must. That usually puts my characters at about level 7 before doing much in the dungeons (by contrast, a decent player can finish the Dark Domain in BT2 with level 7 characters).
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Post by Brian the Fist »

A nice way to gain experience is to kill the Samurai guarding the street south of the guild. As far as I have in mind, you get 200 experience points for each kill - and the samurai is an easy opponent.
The sudden scream of battle brings your party to a halt....
....will your stalwart band choose to fight or run?
Molten Man

Post by Molten Man »

Brian the Fist wrote:A nice way to gain experience is to kill the Samurai guarding the street south of the guild. As far as I have in mind, you get 200 experience points for each kill - and the samurai is an easy opponent.
Yeah, the samurai is a wuss. Only disadvantage to fighting him (or any of the statues) is that he doesn't give much gold, and I usually need that as much as experience in the early going.
irkm desmet daem

Post by irkm desmet daem »

Help -- I need to find a download link to play the Bard's Tale on my pc!
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Re: reply

Post by Brian the Fist »

irkm desmet daem wrote:Help -- I need to find a download link to play the Bard's Tale on my pc!
What exactly do you need? The game itself? An emulator for a non MS-DOS version? A DOS box emulator?
The sudden scream of battle brings your party to a halt....
....will your stalwart band choose to fight or run?