Party Set Up ?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Banky

Party Set Up ?

Post by Banky »

Hi there,
I've just started The Destiny Knight on the C64 Emulator.
So what party do I start off with?

Currently:

1. Paladin
2. Monk
3. Hunter
4. Bard
5. Magician
6. Conjurer

Do I have to save the 7th space for an NPC or do I start with 7 self-made heroes?
And if I created another character, should I go with another meelee or preferebly a third caster?

Thanks in advance!
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Hi Banky,

You will need to save the 7th character slot at the beginning of the Destiny Knight so that you can add in the "Winged Creature" to get across the chasm and then to add the Princess to your party. Otherwise your party lineup looks pretty good. You might think of creating another mage at some point. The more spellcasters you have the better.
Banky

Post by Banky »

Thanks Dragon!
I've already tried to rescue the Princess, it's so hard ;-(
The first time I forgot the Winged Creature, the second time and I didn't have enough spell points left for the levitation spell on lvl 2, the third time the emulator crashed and the fourth time my paladin died and didn't get a single exp.
It's so annoying especially due to the insanely long loading times on the c64 emulator :(
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Banky wrote:Thanks Dragon!
I've already tried to rescue the Princess, it's so hard ;-(
The first time I forgot the Winged Creature, the second time and I didn't have enough spell points left for the levitation spell on lvl 2, the third time the emulator crashed and the fourth time my paladin died and didn't get a single exp.
It's so annoying especially due to the insanely long loading times on the c64 emulator :(
Im not sure your still playing this game.....

But I wanted to mention if your using the Vice C64 emulator you can use the warp speed load toggle to speed up loading times. Its hitting the alt-w key combo. Once you get used to it you pretty much eliminate the load times.

I think CCS64 has a toggle option too....

Cheers.
Banky

Post by Banky »

Hey Saxon,

I switched pretty soon from C64 to the Dos version.
Even using the warp function, the loading times got on my nerves. Every time I faced a special building, an encounter, checked the rooster, etc. I had to hit alt-w - pretty annoying.

My party set up worked out quite well and I was able to finish the game with these guys:

Each character had different strenghts and weaknesses during certain stages of the game.
The Hunter was strong at early and midgame because of his killing blows. But his low AC got a problem towards the end of the game.
The Monk on the other hand was a great tank and mule but his damage was too weak.
The bard was essential for casting light in anti magic areas and the three mages did the main work.
Overall I'd probably choose the same set up again.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Banky wrote:Hey Saxon,

I switched pretty soon from C64 to the Dos version.
Even using the warp function, the loading times got on my nerves. Every time I faced a special building, an encounter, checked the rooster, etc. I had to hit alt-w - pretty annoying.

My party set up worked out quite well and I was able to finish the game with these guys:

Each character had different strenghts and weaknesses during certain stages of the game.
The Hunter was strong at early and midgame because of his killing blows. But his low AC got a problem towards the end of the game.
The Monk on the other hand was a great tank and mule but his damage was too weak.
The bard was essential for casting light in anti magic areas and the three mages did the main work.
Overall I'd probably choose the same set up again.
Cool, I think im glad I went with the paladin and the warrior as my tanks then.....

Hey question; Does the DOS version have varied dungeon environments? Or do they all look like the bland green look of the starter dungeon?
Banky

Post by Banky »

Saxon1974 wrote:Does the DOS version have varied dungeon environments? Or do they all look like the bland green look of the starter dungeon?
There are definitely more than one version. I only remember a red one with skulls, but I think there are at least 3 different styles.
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Banky wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:Does the DOS version have varied dungeon environments? Or do they all look like the bland green look of the starter dungeon?
There are definitely more than one version. I only remember a red one with skulls, but I think there are at least 3 different styles.
Thanks.

I just tried out the Dos version, I went into the starter dungeon and the Tombs and the graphics were the same, but im guessing some of the others are different.

The Dos version is faster, but man it looks ugly to my eyes!@#!@ :lol:
DannyAIC

Post by DannyAIC »

I have the same party as you, and I'm allready seeing problems with the hunter. He's the only one who constantly needs healing. Once i get rest this shouldn't be a big deal, but until then I feel like he's almost a liability. Is the hunter worth the risk of having him die?
Mangar was here....
Toll

Post by Toll »

Personally I only use the Monk. I know others here have said the Monk is no good but I think he is the best fighter. From about level seven onwards you ditch all weapons for him, and by about level fifteen you can ditch the Armour as well. You then have eight free slots per fighter. Very useful for picking up items in dungeons.

Just to give you an idea of how good this fighter is, I am playing BT1 at the moment and my monks are at level 13, they have no weapon and are hitting four times for 100 - 120 hits every time.

So for me in BT2 i would have four monks, and three magic casters. leave a Monk/Monks behind when you need the space in your ranks. Magic casters are still the most important.

A side note though is you can't win the starter dungeon without a Bard. He is needed to open some doors. the rest of the game does not require him.

Toll
tpth

Post by tpth »

I remember experimenting with a monk in BT2 and ditching him around the Maze of Dread because he simply couldn't hit anyone, whereas my paladins and warriors (and hunters) had no trouble. I'm running through BT1 again with a monk, and have noticed that he has more trouble hitting than my warrior. I really like the idea of having a monk, but...
Toll

Post by Toll »

I always found for the early stages, a Monk's best weapon is the Halbard. Then no weapon from about level 8 to 10.

I am finding the monks never miss so i don't why your having the issue. I used them many years ago on the C64 version and I am now replaying the game on the DOS version. Apart from the crappy graphics it is all pretty much as i remember and the Monks are performing the same.

Toll
DannyAIC

Post by DannyAIC »

tpth wrote:I remember experimenting with a monk in BT2 and ditching him around the Maze of Dread because he simply couldn't hit anyone, whereas my paladins and warriors (and hunters) had no trouble. I'm running through BT1 again with a monk, and have noticed that he has more trouble hitting than my warrior. I really like the idea of having a monk, but...
See to me this is strange because I saw in other threads that everyone was having trouble with all their melee characters. I only got as far as dargoths tower the last time through, and my guys were plowing over the enemy This includes the (imo awesome) monk. They were like level 20 or something. What level are your guys at?
Mangar was here....
Toll

Post by Toll »

I am currently doing BT1 at the moment. My Monks are at level 14. They don't have a weapon equipped, and have only bracers for Armour. They never miss and depending on the monster can hit for up to 120 points of damage.

Once I have done BT1, i will move onto BT2 with these characters and we shall see if they cope.

Toll
DannyAIC

Post by DannyAIC »

Well I did a test the other day, I took my level 13 characters down to the maze of dread. They missed completely half the time and my party was slaughtered. Propbably cause they were too low of a level.
Mangar was here....