Question about armor

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
jmcnelis

Question about armor

Post by jmcnelis »

Once I hit AC of LO, does putting better armor on help me in any way? I had mithril plate on, and then found adamant plate. I was already at an AC of LO, though, so putting it on seems to have done nothing. Does switching to the better armor help? My one warrior is loaded down with armor, 6 of the 8 slots give AC, and the 7th is a weapon. Was wondering if upgrading was worth it.

Or, and this just occurred to me, but I may be wrong, can I start getting rid of other armor items, as long as my AC stays at LO? Like, if my plate, helm and gloves give me LO, do I really need the shield, ring and cloak that give me more AC?

Would definitely free up some inventory slots if that's the case. ;)
tpth

Post by tpth »

I'm fairly sure the game continues calculating ACs below L0, it's just that it can't display them because of the two-character column. One of the people here involved in dismantling the code could probably give you a definitive answer, though.
jmcnelis

Post by jmcnelis »

Hmm, ok.

The only reason I asked is, in the manual, it says AC goes from 10 to -10 (called LO,) like D&D was back in the day. So, once it hit -10, you couldn't go any lower. But I also thought like you do, that it keeps calculating it.

Honestly, I'd like it if it kept calculating, cause that would be nice to have VERY good AC, but would also be nice to free up some inventory slots. ;)
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I was more involved in the dungeon code stuff than the items, so I am unable to tell you for sure if the game calculated below "L0" or not.

ZeroZero might know.
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

tpth wrote:I'm fairly sure the game continues calculating ACs below L0, it's just that it can't display them because of the two-character column. One of the people here involved in dismantling the code could probably give you a definitive answer, though.
I believe AC does get calculated below LO, and that it does affect your probability of avoiding being hit, and of hitting.

So it's worth getting all the items that you can to make your AC as low as possible. To compare items, you can unequip all and then you can compare two items by equipping one at a time.