Does it get easier/less encounters after the catacombs?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
Delmoko

Does it get easier/less encounters after the catacombs?

Post by Delmoko »

Just started this game the other day... and I have all the same complaints I've read on here. Slow spell regen, unresponsive keyboard and encounters every 2 steps (or less). I'm playing on my old 386, so I have no idea why they keyboard isn't responsive. It's not even an emulator, I'm playing off the original 3 1/2" disks. I have NEVER had to fight this many encounters in any game. You load the game and BOOM, encounter. Turn in a dungeon, BOOM, ecounter. Just makes ZERO sense.

Why is there so much CRAP in this game they make you pick up after battle. Why would I want a dagger!?!?!? Just takes up time to clear out your characters from all the the junk they make you pick up.

Having just finished Dragon Wars (Bards Tale IV?), I can only say it was 1,000,000 times better than this piece of crap. I am a huge fan of Bard's Tale 1 (perhaps it's just nostalgia). I have all the games boxed and the clue books etc etc etc. I beat BT1 in Jan 1994 (huge snow storm here in Cleveland, full week off school) and BT1 for the NES. They were fun, as I recall.

I remember at some point picking up BT2 and playing it for a bit. Looking back I now know why I didn't get far. It's stupid. It's just plain stupid. I've put about 10 hours into the game at this point and I'm done. Total Crap. I can't handle an encounter every 2 squares and slow to NO spell point regen.

My question is, if I stick with and knock out Bristil Tarj (or whatever his name is), does this get easier? I'm not complaining about tough encounters, I'm complaining about an encounter every 2 steps. It makes it impossible to explore a dungeon or even try to map.

Little background on myself, I'm big into Wizardry, Might and Magic, and Ultima. (The older ones of course). I first played Wizardry I around 1985 and I have never looked back. I am not new to CRPGs, but this one really turns me off. I want to start fresh, but I may need to look around for my Bards Tale I guys. The 5 1/4" discs have to be around here somewhere.

*** IS THERE ANY WAY TO REGAIN SP MORE QUICKLY THAN SITTING IN THE SUN AND SINGING DUO RHYMTIME (or whatever it is called)??? AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE? I have a few harmonic gems, but don't want to waste them at this point. ***

Please, give me a reason to continue to playing this game, I really want to!!! Or else I may move on to WASTELAND.

On a bright note, if anybody here has not played Dragon Wars, DO IT. It is a GREAT story line and refreshing game play. IMHO it blows BT3 out of the water. I wish there was a sequal to it or another game like it that uses the same engine.

Thanks!
Delmoko
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Hi. I'd like to recommend to you that you play the Commodore 64 version, as it is far less buggy than the IBM ports.
Delmoko

Post by Delmoko »

Thanks, but I don't have the game for the C64 and I don't do the emulator thing. I have a feeling it would be JUST as difficult as the DOS version?

Thanks,
Delmoko
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Well...if you've been reading the threads around here complaining about how fouled up the PC ports of the game are, you'd probably come to realize that the 8-bit ports are the way to go.

My opinion only, however.
Delmoko

Post by Delmoko »

Yeah, I can appreciate that.

I started Wasteland today... I may go back to BT3, but I have to think about it. It just wasn't fun. I couldn't find my BT1 Character disks.

Have you played Dragon Wars? Do you know if there are any other games that were made with that engine?

Thanks,
Delmoko
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I've never played Dragon Wars. It is considered by some to be an unofficial BTIV, or so I hear.
Delmoko

Post by Delmoko »

"Burger" Bill/Becky Heinneman has confirmed that Dragon Wars was indeed intended to be BTIV. I recommend you getting your hands on it and playing it immediately. It took me about 3 weeks to play thru part time. It has an interesting storyline and the Auto Map alone is worth the price of admission. Quite enjoyable.

It was the best "gem" I discovered since I found out about "Demon Winter" (pre-Gold Box game by SSI). Another brilliant little heard of game.
Delmoko

Post by Delmoko »

I'm a few hours deep into WASTELAND now... I played it a lot in the early to mid 90's, but never beat it. That will soon change! (hopefully)

Every play?