Which version to play?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Ether

Which version to play?

Post by Ether »

I think I'm going to go ahead and start playing this game again sometime in the next few weeks.

My question is, for those who have done this, is there a reason to recommend the C64 version over the IBM/PC version, or vice versa?

I played the series originally on the Commdore 64. I also played Bard' Tale 3 on a PC in the late 90's.

I do plan on transferring my characters over from game to game, it case it is easier to do from one version to another.

I do have a copy of the PC version laying around my office area somewhere. I would assume I'd have to download a C64 version.

Thanks.
Darendor

Re: Which version to play?

Post by Darendor »

Ether wrote:I think I'm going to go ahead and start playing this game again sometime in the next few weeks.

My question is, for those who have done this, is there a reason to recommend the C64 version over the IBM/PC version, or vice versa?

I played the series originally on the Commdore 64. I also played Bard' Tale 3 on a PC in the late 90's.

I do plan on transferring my characters over from game to game, it case it is easier to do from one version to another.

I do have a copy of the PC version laying around my office area somewhere. I would assume I'd have to download a C64 version.

Thanks.
The Commodore 64 version has the best graphics, the best sound, and practically glitch-free playing.

I recommend it over all others, but of course that's just me.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Thanks.

Question: If I do go with the Commodore 64 versions, where do I find a download of the games?

When I google this site, it mentions game downloads, but I've never found one. (can find other stuff, like the emulators).
tpth

Post by tpth »

The files for the C64 (and other versions) are here:

http://bardstale.brotherhood.de/talefil ... index.html

As far as BT1 goes, both the C64 version and the DOS version are pretty good. I've not tried the others. But if you're gonna go all the way through, go with the C64 version, because the DOS version of BT3 sucks the ballz.
Rask

Post by Rask »

My introduction to the Bard's Tale was on my dad's Mac II back in 1987, when I was 11, and that one remains my favorite. I've tried the Apple II and DOS versions, and obviously they're good, but I think the Mac version is better.

The Mac version took advantage of the advanced (at the time) graphics capability of the Mac. It uses edited scans if the original artists' drawings, which gives them a kind of photorealistic look. The interface is also a lot less cumbersome since, e.g., your characters appear as icons in the Adventurer's guild which you can drag and drop into the party screen. Another example of the improved interface is when you're examining one of your characters - the equipment screen has buttons at the bottom, so you're not forced to cycle from the info screen to the equipment screen and back to the adventure screen. This is handy if, e.g., you want to equip something, look at your stats again, and then back to your equipment. You can also drag and drop items from one character to another. The music seems to be about the same as the soundblaster version on DOS, but the adventuring sounds are cleaner.

About the only downsides to the Mac version is that it is in black and white., and it is a lot more difficult to get it working on modern operating systems compared to DOSBOX.