Overcoming traps

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Toddhitch

Overcoming traps

Post by Toddhitch »

Playing the Ipad version here.

While in the Catacombs I had a terrible time with the floor traps. IIRC, from the PC & Mac versions, the levitation spells allowed you to go over the traps without damage. It seems even with LO and -9, -8 AC, if I trigger a trap, warstrike I think is the worst, I end up with half my party dead. This is even my Paladin and Hunter which have over 170 HP.

Is there a way other than PHDO to get past the traps? I'm trying right now to get to the Crystal Sword and the 4 traps I have to get by are literally killing me.

PHDO may work, I am going to try it, but I wondered if there was another way. Especially for areas where PHDO doesn't work. It was by sheer luck that I was able to get through the traps on level 3 of the Catacombs to fight the Witch King for the eye.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

The levitation spell gives your party a chance to avoid traps; it doesn't guarantee avoiding them.

You'll want to use the Trap Zap spell (TRZP) to permanently disable any traps up to 30' in front of you...
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

What level are your magic users?
If you can cast SOSI, or a lesser spell, you will be told if there is a trap ahead of you within 30'.
Maven

Post by Maven »

Anyone who has played characters to a high enough level to get the PHDO spell, and hasn't used the Trap Zap spell to disable traps, has my respect. And sympathy.

Go, Todd!
Toddhitch

Post by Toddhitch »

Well, it didn't take too long to get to that level. I did use trap zap for all the chests and just avoided the areas where I knew there were traps. It was just in Cata3 where the biggest challenge was against the witch king.

I have all the maps, so sosi isnt really necessary because I know which spaces have traps.

It took me a couple of tries. In the ipad version, if you quit you just go back to the last saved game. So if too many died before encountering the witch king, I just reloaded from the Adventurer's Hall. Also, I noticed that every time I run it allows me to get out of the random encounters so that is helpful as I run back to the spot to get the special items I need.

I've been using TRZP in the castle now and it's made things much easier, because I don't have to figure out how to avoid those areas any longer.

Imagine what it would have been like back in the day if we had the internet to help us out...Ha!

To answer Darendor's question, everyone is at level 13. But I need to go up one more level to get all the spells from spell level 7.

I have one magician and two conjurers. I am thinking about making one of the conj's into a wizard and the other into a magician. The magician into a conj and go from there. leveling them all up to get all four magic schools among the group.
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

Major Levitation (MALE) is the most powerful levitation spell, and I believe it is more effective than the other levitation spells.
Maven

Post by Maven »

Toddhitch wrote:I have one magician and two conjurers. I am thinking about making one of the conj's into a wizard and the other into a magician. The magician into a conj and go from there. leveling them all up to get all four magic schools among the group.
I don't think you can do a Wizard directly from a Conjurer. You have to have level three in at least two other disciplines. You'll need to do either the other of Magician/Conjurer or Sorceror first.

You might want two Sorcerors. That Manger's Mind Blade spell comes in mighty handy.
Toddhitch

Post by Toddhitch »

Thanks Maven

You are correct it was sorc that I needed to make. Guess I will go with 2 sorc with my conj's and make my mag into a conj. Healing from 3 will be fantastic.

I can't wait to get into Mangar's so I can find some mage staff's. Spell point regen is a game changer.