long winded explanation of a very weird spell point increase

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Maven

Post by Maven »

Besides which, the spell point regen song isn't available in BT1. I think it was added in BT2.
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

Correct - the tunes available in BT1 are:

Code: Select all

1  Falkentyne's Fury     This tune increases the damage your party will do in combat, berserker rage.
2  The Seeker's Ballad   This song produces light when exploring, increases the chance of hitting a foe.
3  Wayland's Watch       This song will soothe your foes, making them do less damage in combat.
4  Badh'r Kilnfest       This tune heals the Bard during traveling, and heal the party during combat.
5  The Traveller's Tune  This melody makes the members of your party more dexterous, and thus more difficult to hit.
6  Lucklaran             This song sets up an "anti-magic" field; increased protection against spell casting.
/Twoflower
DMan

Post by DMan »

Flanimal wrote:I'm sorry chaps, I just haven't managed to pin this one down to a logical explanation. The experiments that I have done have given inconsistent results, and so I am non the wiser as to what the cause is of this weird sppt incrementing of ny three high level wizards.

The bottom line is this:
* The unexplained +1 sppt rate continues for my three wizards, and occurs in all the various dungeons. (I'm not complaining, I am just astonished)
* The effect stacks if used with the mage staff, giving a rate of +2
* The only place where the weird effect is not seen in in Skara Brea in daylight, as the sppts increase at the normal +1 which is attributed to the daylight. At night however, the mysterious +1 rate can again be seen.

I will now attempt to rename this thread to something like "long winded explanation of a very weird spell point incrementing bug?", as it has totally failed at its original intention to precisely define the three staffs!!!

As the strongest, though far from conclusive (and less so proven), theory is that this weird effect is related to the high levels of my party characters, I will stick a quick note in the thread relating to the effects resulting from the high levels of my characters.

Again, if anyone wishes to see/verify/investigate this unexplained sppt weirdness, PM me and you are welcome to the snapshot image file.
I've noticed a similar feature/bug in the Spectrum version of the game - it appears to be linked to visiting the spell point regeneration zone in Harkyn's Castle (although I had this mapped at 13N 18E in the 'Royal Bedroom' rather than 11N 15E - but this may be due to a difference in the versions?).

Anyway - once that square has been visited then spell points continue to increase at +1 sppt rate regardless of where you visit afterwards. Leaving the dungeon and re-entering the city doesn't cancel the effect, nor does visiting the Guild - the same effect is then present in all dungeons - effectively giving the daylight regeneration rate at all times. This only stops once the game has been exited.

It doesn't happen in the DOS version.
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

DMan, you have only posted twice in this forum, and you are already my hero! Thanks for the explanation.
And welcome to the forum! :)
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

You know what? I remember something about playing Bard's Tale II (yes, yes, this is the BTI subforum, run with me for a sec here) on the C64 back in the day.

The Mage Staff was the spell point regenerator. I and my friend back then discovered that if we equipped a Mage Staff on our spellcasters, and then had them carry around a Conjurstaff in inventory (unequipped), we got the best of both worlds: Half price spellcasting with the ability to regenerate spellpoints.

I suspect this phenomenon is latent in BTI as well, and is probably only on the 8 bit versions of the game(s).
DMan

Post by DMan »

Flanimal wrote:DMan, you have only posted twice in this forum, and you are already my hero! Thanks for the explanation.
And welcome to the forum! :)
No probs - glad I could throw some light on it! :)