Withered and old

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
jmcnelis

Withered and old

Post by jmcnelis »

I played all 3 Bard's Tale games way back when, on my C64, and l loved them. Granted, I was no good at RPGs, the only one I even came close to beating was Thief of Fate, but still, I loved the whole genre, and played many games like it, even though I sucked. ;)

I've had the Ultimate RPG Archives for quite a long time now, and would go back and play Bard's Tale every once in a while, but never seriously. Well, the past few days I've been playing non-stop, and am planning on playing till I finally beat it.

Anyway, all my background aside, I do have a question. Is there any way to heal OLD? I cringe whenever I come across a magician in the game, as I hate when they wither one of my party. It always means I have to leave the dungeon, heal up at a horrible price, and head back in. Is there a way to heal it, or am I stuck with it till I go to a temple? Currently, my party is made up of all level 9s, so I'm not TOO high yet, so not sure if it's a spell I'll get later on. I've looked through the spells, though, and I can't tell if any will do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
tpth

Post by tpth »

As I remember, Heal All in BT2 cured it, although that's Level 5 Archmage so you've got a way to go before you can cast it. And there's a Chronomancer spell in BT3 called OLAY (ha) that gets rid of it. But for the start of the game(s), at least, it's a matter of beating a hasty retreat and heading to a temple.
jmcnelis

Post by jmcnelis »

Hmm, ok, so nothing in Bard's Tale 1, then. Guess I'll have to do as you say, and just get back to a temple quickly. At least, now, I can teleport around, so I can just send myself to the exit, and then back to where I was quickly.

Thanks for the response!!
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

I believe there are some BT1 spells that cure old. Restoration (REST) is the most powerful spell and I believe that cures old, so I believe some of the earlier healing spells might do the trick too.
jmcnelis

Post by jmcnelis »

I'll have to try REST. I know that FLRE didn't do it, at least not the first time I tried. I didn't try a second application to see if it could possibly do it. ;) Since I've gotten the REST spell, I haven't been withered.

Maybe I'll cast it on myself, and then see if REST fixes it. ;)

*edit*
Well, just went into party attack mode, and withered one of my party. Cast REST, and nothing happened. Ah well, guess it's temple-time!
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

Ouch. Sorry 'bout that! :oops:

I guess you could try killing a withered party member and then resurect them with Beyond Death (BEDE) and then heal them... that might work.

I really don't remember. But one thing I do know is that as your characters level up, they get more resistant to magic and so are less likely to be withered.
Maven

Post by Maven »

I never did find a spell or item that could cure OLD in Bard's Tale 1. Magicians are Expensive! I always run from them.

But it gets worse. Wights, Ghouls, Ghosts, and Ancient Enemies can all wither you. And Lesser Demons. Sometimes I just bite the bullet and run around with an old grey hunter or an old Bard.

I haven't figured out how to cure stoning, either. I don't think it can be done. And it's worse. They're dead to boot. At least there's the temple.
ManicWonk

Post by ManicWonk »

Playing with an withered character is an acceptable risk when I have other members who can step up (~change march order). If I am simply fighting to gain experience or to maintain my position whilst drawing maps, I'll accept one withered character. Honestly, I'm not too familiar with the side effects of a withered character.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Yeah, I think you're out of luck in BT1. Being old reduces your character's attributes, making it more difficult for them to hit their enemies and do damage. As you say, having one character withered isn't the end of the world, but if your entire front line cops it, you'll end up having to rely entirely on your spellcasters (and bard, perhaps) to deal out damage.
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

I have tested and confirmed that killing a withered party member, and then restoring life with Beyond Death (BEDE) does in fact cure him of being old. :D
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Just for what it's worth, the only way to cure "Old" is in BTIII by casting the "OLAY" spell.

Other than of course murdering your party members. :?
tpth

Post by tpth »

I vaguely, vaguely remember that there's also an item called a Youth Potion or somesuch that will do the OLAY-casting for you.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

tpth wrote:I vaguely, vaguely remember that there's also an item called a Youth Potion or somesuch that will do the OLAY-casting for you.
You are entirely correct.
jmcnelis

Post by jmcnelis »

Great, thanks for all the responses, everyone!

Looks like I'll just have to wait to get a wizard, so I can bring them back to life. ;)
jewnoes

cure for old

Post by jewnoes »

I know that this is an old thread and chances are this won't be helpful. But to cure old in the bards tale 1 for nes you need to have a sorceror and cast rejuvenation. I just started playing the game again.