iPad/Android version bard songs

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
The_Mighty_Zol

iPad/Android version bard songs

Post by The_Mighty_Zol »

I think the Android or iOS version of the Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown is just an emulated Apple IIGS version. In fact I'm pretty sure.

What I'm not sure about is whether it has fixed bugs, either in the original Apple IIGS version, or in the version now emulated. More specifically, I can see the (P)arty Attack/Bad'r Kilnfest exploit to fully heal up your characters doesn't work like it did on C64. It shouldn't have worked before, so something has been fixed. Maybe.

As we know, despite the game being about the Bard, he was pretty bugged. Wayland's Watch didn't work at all, and Lucklaran only affected the monster in the special slot, not the whole party.

I just can't tell from playing whether these are now fixed, because BT1 can be so damn subtle in its effects: especially Bard song effects. What does everyone else think?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

The original game was coded in 1985. The ports to iOS were done, what, 2 years ago?

It's unlikely the people who ported it played it back then, so...
The_Mighty_Zol

Post by The_Mighty_Zol »

Darendor wrote:The original game was coded in 1985. The ports to iOS were done, what, 2 years ago?

It's unlikely the people who ported it played it back then, so...
Not exactly true. (Technically, the game was never ported to iOS - it's just emulated.) But, the Apple IIGS port was done in 1986-1987, maybe two years after the original C64 port, making it perfectly reasonable that the bugs were fixed. We all know that different versions have different issues.

The game on iOS/Android has mouse control and mouse selection of spells (rather than typing the 4 letter acronym). Since I never played the Apple IIGS version, I have no idea whether this was part of this port or have been added to make it work with touchscreens and without having to have a printed manual.

Anyway, someone's obviously taken care to make sure all three original Bard's Tale games are playable and not just there for show. So whether or not they played it in 1985... they obviously played it fairly recently.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

If you like to compare the versions, you can download the disks from the files section here.

You will find several emulators for an Apple IIGS in the web, for example here or better still, in this place.