Cracked BT3 for C64

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
DenTarr

Cracked BT3 for C64

Post by DenTarr »

Hi all

I recently wanted to walk down Memory Lane again with playing Bards Tale 3. Used the available .d64 set and all was well till the teleport to Arborea: the Codewheel jumped in.

Now I started to look everywhere on the net. But there simply is no properly cracked C64 version around. There are some which claim to be (from Triad or Lithium) but in fact, none are.

So I thought "Hey when enjoying the old times, why not dust off the old cracking skills. :twisted:

After some work fiddling around a Freezer Cartridge and Disassembler I have been seeing the long forgotten knowledge returning.
I did come up with a crack in the end, a classical 1 Byte Crack too. So no more Code Wheel

Dont know if people are interested in it here. If that is the case Id be happy to upload it somewhere.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I imagine Brian The Fish would be happy to host it.
DenTarr

Post by DenTarr »

Well for all who are interested:

http://www.brutalupload.com/file/index.php?f=n1oqnPCk

Hope this works. Never used 1-click hosters before.

Its the normal four .d64 version + a Character Disk .d64 with my crack and another Character Disk .d64 with my crack and a level 1 party with lots of xp and gold.

At the Code Wheel check when changing dimensions, just enter anything. (But DO enter something. Just pressing RETURN wont do)

I wanted to make a cracktro, too, to make it complete. But sadly I dont have any of the old tools and resources left and starting all from scratch is just too much hassle.
DenTarr

Post by DenTarr »

Okay another version. Here I removed the check alltogether. For all those who just dont want to see any Codewheel request at all:

http://www.brutalupload.com/file/index.php?f=Du0a7KBV
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

Are you sure that the Triad version not working properly? Janitor knew his stuff.

As far as I remember it, it requests a code from the codewheel, but it doesn't care what code you enter?
/Twoflower
DenTarr

Post by DenTarr »

Yep I am sure. I did check the available versions before I started all that work :)
The request for the wheel is there and if you enter incorrect you are stuck. Tried all the 4 version I could find including Triad.
Chaney

Post by Chaney »

I tried the link on both Firefox, IE and Chrome, and all I get is a blank page.
When in doubt, kick your neighbors dog!
8bitweapon

Post by 8bitweapon »

I'd love to see a dual disk drive version of bt3! Anyone wanna do that?
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

8bitweapon wrote:I'd love to see a dual disk drive version of bt3! Anyone wanna do that?
Did you read the thread before posting?
8bitweapon

Post by 8bitweapon »

Yes, so I thought "hey these guys can mod bt3 why not ask about adding a second drive".

After, I realized there was already a thread for this topic. Oops~!
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

Did anybody download this? I'd love to have a copy.

After much digging, I have found a rare version from an old german group, Empire, which features the code-wheel removal. Not as cleanly done as removing it alltogether - if you are reading this DenTarr, it would be nice if you could upload your last copy once more.
/Twoflower