Spellcaster advancement

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
manika

Spellcaster advancement

Post by manika »

Hi,
I have a quick question about my spellcasters choices.
they are now about to change class for the first time. I need an archmage to finish the game, if I'm correct.
Do I need the spellcaster to be of the archmage class or could I change him to archmage, gain all spell levels and then switch to the last remaining spellcaster class. Does this count as archmage as well if he has Archmage 7 but is currently a wizard for example?
I'm asking because as in BT I it would make more sense to change back from slow advancing spellcaster class (like wizard) to fast advancing (like Magician) to gain more hp and sp in the long run.
I hope someone knows what I'm trying to say ;-)

And as a new member I have to say I'm happy I found this site dedicated to everything BT. :-)

thanks in advance
manika
tpth

Post by tpth »

You need to have at least three spell levels in each of Conjurer, Magician, Sorceror and Wizard to become an Archmage, and you can't switch back to any of those classes once you've left them. So basically, once you're an Archmage, you're an Archmage for good.
manika

Post by manika »

thanks, for some reason I thought it would be possible to become an Archmage with only knowing 3 of the 4 other spellclasses.
In that case I think I will go
Co -> So -> Wz -> Ma
Ma -> So -> Wz -> Co
with my casters and and 'grind' some levels to get more SP before I'll eventually turn them into Archmages.
rakenan

Post by rakenan »

manika wrote:thanks, for some reason I thought it would be possible to become an Archmage with only knowing 3 of the 4 other spellclasses.
Co -> So -> Wz -> Ma
Ma -> So -> Wz -> Co
with my casters and and 'grind' some levels to get more SP before I'll eventually turn them into Archmages.
In BT1, where Wizard was the most advanced caster type, that worked reasonably well. That is, you could go Co -> So -> Wz -> Ma and avoid having your endgame levels be tied to the incredibly slow leveling rate of the Wizard class, instead gaining the relatively fast levels of the Magician class.

I'm pretty sure the decision to nix this tactic in BT2 was deliberate, to force casters to stick with an extremely slow leveling class in the endgame in a vain attempt to let other classes seem somewhat less worthless. But it didn't work, the other classes are still basically only meat shields.
wefuntw

Post by wefuntw »

rakenan wrote:
manika wrote:thanks, for some reason I thought it would be possible to become an Archmage with only knowing 3 of the 4 other spellclasses.
Co -> So -> Wz -> Ma
Ma -> So -> Wz -> Co
In BT1, where Wizard was the most advanced caster type, that worked reasonably well. That is, you could go Co -> So -> Wz -> Ma and avoid having your endgame levels be tied to the incredibly slow leveling rate of the Wizard class, instead gaining the relatively fast levels of the Magician class.

I'm pretty sure the decision to nix this tactic in BT2 was deliberate, to force casters to stick with an extremely slow leveling class in the endgame in a vain attempt to let other classes seem somewhat less worthless. But it didn't work, the other classes are still basically only meat shields.
Unlike BT1,
All levels above 13 are, as for other classes, 200k.
so it does not matter when the last class for spell caster is Archmage