C64 Dungeon Trap Glitch

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

Let me see if I have understood this correctly? Have we:

1) Concluded that this error exists on all disks of the 8-bit versions based on the same code, Apple-II and C-64 alike?
2) Concluded that all versions of the original disks are backed up allready?
3) Concluded that the disks are Pirateslayer-encoded and never decrypted prior me and ZeroZero managed to, a year ago? (...thus making the idea of someone hacking the image very unprobable).

If all the three assumptions above are correct, there is no point of doing the job all over again. We could even extract the different images and byte-compare them for differances? We could probably fix it, but it'd still be a 101% fix since the bug always have been there.

Edit: Luzur is clearly talking about BT1 in that forum. There exists no tape-version whatsoever of Bard's Tale II. Believe me, I would've known.
/Twoflower
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

1) We've concluded that my D64 images contain this bug, as does Saxon1974's.
2) Wha? :?
3) Mine are not decrypted.
Twoflower wrote:Let me see if I have understood this correctly? Have we:

1) Concluded that this error exists on all disks of the 8-bit versions based on the same code, Apple-II and C-64 alike?
2) Concluded that all versions of the original disks are backed up allready?
3) Concluded that the disks are Pirateslayer-encoded and never decrypted prior me and ZeroZero managed to, a year ago? (...thus making the idea of someone hacking the image very unprobable).

If all the three assumptions above are correct, there is no point of doing the job all over again. We could even extract the different images and byte-compare them for differances? We could probably fix it, but it'd still be a 101% fix since the bug always have been there.

Edit: Luzur is clearly talking about BT1 in that forum. There exists no tape-version whatsoever of Bard's Tale II. Believe me, I would've known.
Twoflower

Post by Twoflower »

Darendor wrote: 1) We've concluded that my D64 images contain this bug, as does Saxon1974's.
2) Wha? :?
3) Mine are not decrypted.
Ah, I see. And both of your images are the ones from Triangle? Well, you could always try your savedisk on the version from:

* The Light Circle (http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=22920)
* ...or the UCF-version (http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=40520)

The UCF-version is a bit of a mess, but i'm sure you'll be able to sort out the disks. If you'd like to check if the error exists on the original images, I can supply you with the D64's of the original disksides 2-4 which you then can run with the Light Circle or the Triangle first diskside (the main disk/first diskside or the original is still copy-protected).
/Twoflower
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Can you host the D64 images for download?
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dang was thinking of playing the C64 version of Bard's tale II again so wanted to check if anyone figured out the trap issue.

I wish I knew a way to help... :(

I saw on a MatChat video Brian Fargo and Becky Heineman interviewed. This might sound dumb but I wonder if I found their emails if they would have any suggestions...especially Becky because I think she did some of the coding.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Saxon1974 wrote:Dang was thinking of playing the C64 version of Bard's tale II again so wanted to check if anyone figured out the trap issue.

I wish I knew a way to help... :(

I saw on a MatChat video Brian Fargo and Becky Heineman interviewed. This might sound dumb but I wonder if I found their emails if they would have any suggestions...especially Becky because I think she did some of the coding.
We didn't get far enough in the BTII anti-piracy decoding to figure out the source coding for dungeon layouts, but I think it's pretty safe to say that the dungeon traps in BTII on the C64 were mis-programmed to always fail...
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I'm going to lock this thread.

This issue has been explored - and corrected - in this thread here:
http://brotherhood.de/Bardstale/talefil ... .php?t=899