Buy all items in Bards Tale 1 & 2

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
a Cincinnati transplant

Buy all items in Bards Tale 1 & 2

Post by a Cincinnati transplant »

Buy all items in Bards Tale 1 & 2 --- Apple II+, IIe & IIc only

from: a Cincinnati, Ohio transplant (WHAT? You moved TO Cincinnati?)
__Please keep me anonymous. I know I did this, I don't need praises directed towards me, just knowledge that somebody uses it or finds it interesting is satisfying enough.
.......Go Reds.
.......Go Bung-holes.. I mean Bungles.. I mean... forget it. You know what I mean.
..............Take a look at the Ben-gals...our chearleaders.

Just imagine...BT 2...Having six (6) Destiny Knights from the beginning of the game. A

completely unstoppable force. If you do this, you have to buy the individual segments not

the whole.

This cheat works on an Apple IIc computer, it should work on the II+ & IIe. I have tried

unsuccessfully to get it to work on an Apple IIGS.

It has been successfully tested on the "appleWin" emulator, v1.13.1... It has not been

tested on any other emulators, but I believe it should work on them also.

I don't recall this working with Bards Tale 3. Of course, BT3 has that experience cheat.

Where you defeat the boss of that dungeon/level/area/dimension and get an item. Drop the

item. Create another character disk, transfer them and re-defeat that boss again for the

same experience. Wash, rinse and repeat.
--------------------------------------------------
You will need Bards Tale 1 & 2 character disks.

__Start game as usual.
__Gather your party at the ADVENTURERS GUILD.
__Goto GARTH'S EQUIPMENT SHOP.
__Remove current BT character disk and replace with the other game's character disk.
__Select character to purchase the items.
__Press B for Buy
__***Do not go backward on the list, as it messes up.***
__After buying what you want, press ESC.
__Press (E)xit--this doesn't exit the building, just who is purchasing items.
__If you want to buy items for any other characters, select that character.
__If you want to start enjoying your new items, then remove the other game's character disk

and put the original game's Character disk back in.
__Press (E)xit The Shoppe.
__Enjoy your...as the metal band OVERKILL puts it...WRECKING CREW.
--------------------------------------------------

I believe this works because the Apple IIc/e has to read from the disk when you press B for

Buy. I have no clue how this works though.

This doesn't work on PC and Apple IIGS (non-emulation mode) computers because they have too

much memory, and all the information needed to (B)uy items is already stored in memory and

it doesn't need to read from the disk. I don't know if this will work on any others system -

Commodore 64 & 128 & Amiga, Atari ST, etc..

You must have enough money to buy the items, which in BT1 & BT2, just to the money cheat

until you get enough for what you want.

This cheat was found playing BT2 and wanting to have an item that was in BT1. I didn't get

that item, but what I found out was much more satisfying. Especially since I couldn't get

through that damned 7th snare to get the 7th segment.

I found this cheat in 1987 or 1988. But wasn't able to put it on the net because I haven't

had an Apple IIc computer since 1990. I wasn't sure how the cheat was done precisely and

also wasn't sure it was just "bad" disks that I had. But I am pleased to say it works to

this day.

I have finally mentioned this to websites because I have never seen this particular cheat,

no matter where I checked, although I'm sure I haven't checked all the sites. Plus, maybe

it spark some more interest in re-playing an old favorite of many.

As of this moment, the places you should find this is:
__www.bardstale.de
__www.bardstaleonline.com
__www.geocities.com/thebardstale/index.html
__www.rpgclassics.com
__www.virtualapple.org