Map Making Tools?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Layarion

Map Making Tools?

Post by Layarion »

I've spent 8 hours sifting through this forum, through google, and through a few other forums and I can't figure out what software/tool Teran of RPGClassics used to make those maps. I've tried looking for other simple "grid like" /graph like things but I can't find any! either their hard to use, the links are broken, or they simply don't have the basics of what's needed.

I wonder if he used Adobe or something, I tried e-mailing him but I got a failure notice.

anyway what tools did the other map makers here use? I am trying to a create a low spoiler set for myself that 1) has a numbered gridline from 1-22 (not 0-21) 2) doesn't look fuzzy (one of the maps here, virtually can't make it out) 3) is accurate (some of the maps here weren't, surprisingly)
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

You might want to try Gridmapper.

And here a quick tutorial for it.

The only drawback with this is, that you cannot paint 1-sided walls. For those you needed to edit the map later with a gfx program.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Whenever I get the urge to map out dungeons for any of the BT games, I use...MS Paint.

I have a "template" that I have saved as a .BMP file, that has most of the items on it I'll need for making the map (doors east-west, doors north-south, the "@" symbol for Spinners, to name a few). I then use the line drawing tool to draw in the walls, and copy/paste in the symbols representing the various dungeon hazards. Finally, I type in ver batim the text clues into a legend.

When I'm done editing my template file I rename it to, say, "catacombs2.png".

But back in the day, I used graph paper and mechanical pencils. Lots and lots of graph paper. And lots of lead. :?
toper

Post by toper »

I've tried to use a second window to graph my way around the dungeons... never had much luck... so I usually just goto a free graph paper website and print up a page or two when needed.
Toll

Post by Toll »

I am currently using a program called, liors map maker. It has a grid, you make your own walls, doors, and other symbols etc and just insert into the grid when needed. Windows 7 and 8 it is not supported on though!

Will post a bitmap made with it of the Tombs in BT2 when I get a chance.