Dungeons & Dragons

Anything you like and probably not related to Bard's Tale
MazinKaesar

Post by MazinKaesar »

I have just 2/3 friend to play 1/2 times per year. We play the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition at very high level.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

That's wonderful.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

So nobody here has played 3.5 and is familiar with the combat system?
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Darendor wrote:I'm a little daunted by the combat aspect. It looks horribly complicated.

I imagine I'll need to make spot checks for both the monsters that are near the shoreline and the party as it rows closer to the island. Supposing that a couple of ogres or their sentinels (say, a harpy) spots the party rowing ashore, they might decide to wait until the party lands and then surprise them, catching them flat-footed.

What would the order of combat be, exactly?
The first thing I would do would be to cheat. I would probably decide on average spot/listen check for the monsters. I'd decide how many rounds they would need to get to shore. They would need to do some check to sneak up. Maybe a check for rowing to row quietly. If they got cleaver and used spells to mask their approach or something, I'd give them some bonus. (Alternatively I'd just decide they were spotted at point X because it would make the encounter fun.) I wouldn't bother with a whole bunch of competing checks.

Once they are spotted or decide to attack everyone rolls initiative (1d20 + dex modifier and possibly a few other bonuses). If the PCs get close enough and want to attack before being spotted, they get a surprise round. During the surprise round only they get to act but they only get a single standard action. Everyone acts in initiative order stating with the highest. After everyone acts it is a new round and you start with the highest initiative again.

The melee warrior types will typically move up (move action) and attack (or move again if too far, possibly charging). After that they are typically happy doing full attack. A ranged warrior might sit at range doing full attack until the opponents are close. He either keeps backing up to use his ranged weapon or switches to a melee weapon. Wizards will move and cast spells or use a ranged weapon normally.

Don't sweat about the rules too much. You can always just make a decision at that time. Generally better to keep the game moving. It may be that a player remembers the rules better than you and can let him look up any questions.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Thanks for the input.

I just don't want combat to bog down the gameplay too much do to things like, "Oh, ok, the harpy, it...uh...I dunno"...

It was annoying trying to look up the experience award system. Take the CR, cross-reference this table, divide the result by the average level of the party...

It's supposed to be FUN, not college math homework.