Bt Builder

Discussions and help for the Bard's Tale Construction Set
sombunall

Re: Bt Builder

Post by sombunall »

I just had an interesting battle. I pitted a level 186 conjurer against a level 112 monster that had 25 as thaumaturigal resistance. I then used deathstrike (critical hit spell) and it took about :? 8 rounds of combat to kill him because he kept saving. Is thaumaturigal resistance in percent? How come it took so many rounds for me to succeed?
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

New version is up on the web site.

Armor and hit bonus spells support not stacking bonuses. Fixed crash when pressing 1 on inventory screen without any items. Fixed crash when you delete a person from the roster who is in your party and then remove them from your party. Fixed crash when you save a party with an existing name and have to pick a new name. Save spell effects properly so that characters restored from a save file have the right stats. (Previous save files will not be corrected.) Add monsters to the roster when removed from the party.

I still need to make the other bonus spells not stack. The sample2.xml shows how to enable non stacking bonuses. Hopefully that fixes most of the issues you guys have been having.
sombunall

Post by sombunall »

8) ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah! bugfix release! Also you made it to 0.5. Kind of a milestone no?
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

sombunall wrote:8) ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah! bugfix release! Also you made it to 0.5. Kind of a milestone no?
Not really. I changed all the version numbers to 0.4.8 and then screwed up. I tagged the release in source control as 0.4.9. The easiest way to make a sensible release was to just go to 0.5.0.
caars

Post by caars »

sombunall wrote:I just had an interesting battle. I pitted a level 186 conjurer against a level 112 monster that had 25 as thaumaturigal resistance. I then used deathstrike (critical hit spell) and it took about :? 8 rounds of combat to kill him because he kept saving. Is thaumaturigal resistance in percent? How come it took so many rounds for me to succeed?
No, they actually have a separate saving throw as well. For any monster that is level 112, they will only fail a saving throw if they roll 1 on the d20 for the save.

Basically, the thaumaturgical resistance is giving a 25% chance that the spell will fail outright. So there's "only" a 75% chance the monster will even have to attempt a saving throw. If it does, it will only fail and die on a roll of 1.

The chance of rolling a 1 is 5%, which means effectively the Deathstrike as about a 3.75% chance of working.

The probability of it working after 8 attempts was actually about 26%, so technically you got lucky...

EDIT: If you want to create a module where thaumaturgical resistance is the only defense a monster has against a spell, create a custom job.xml for the module. Scroll down to the "monster" class. Set the <save> to 0. And set the <improveSave> to 0 (I think that'll work - although setting it to some ridiculously high value might work too). That'll make it so that all monsters (no matter what their level is) can only save if they roll a 20 on the d20. It's not perfect (there is still that 5% chance to save), but it get pretty close.
Modules for BT Builder (still very much works in progress):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
sombunall

Post by sombunall »

Thanks for the explanation Caars. It looks like as soon as the monster hits level 10 they have the 95% save factor?
caars

Post by caars »

sombunall wrote:Thanks for the explanation Caars. It looks like as soon as the monster hits level 10 they have the 95% save factor?
Other way around! <improveSave> is the number of levels to make the save easier by 1 point. So the 95% save rate hits somewhere in the high 30s.

The reason why setting it to 0 would stop the save from improving is that usually setting a value to 0 is the default for "don't do anything." I might be wrong about that for the saving throws though. Only dulsi would know for sure...
Modules for BT Builder (still very much works in progress):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

caars wrote:The reason why setting it to 0 would stop the save from improving is that usually setting a value to 0 is the default for "don't do anything." I might be wrong about that for the saving throws though. Only dulsi would know for sure...
Code does:

Code: Select all

if (((level - 1) % jobList[job]->improveSave) == 0)
So a modulus by zero. That's not good. Undefined behavior for C++. I'm surprised you don't get a crash.

"Caster only" target option has been added. I've also added "tags" to monsters. Right now they don't do anything. I plan on using it to implement HOWA. So you would tag all the monsters you want to effect as "undead".
sombunall

Post by sombunall »

dulsi wrote: "Caster only" target option has been added.
Refresh my memory please as to what that is for?
Last edited by sombunall on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

sombunall wrote:Refresh my memory please as to what that is for? For some reason I can't figure it out.
See Analysis of Spell from BT Games. I copied the information from earlier posts to this thread.
sombunall

Post by sombunall »

Darn. You answered so fast I had to un-edit my post!

I kind of wish I could make 1 spell follow programming rules for effects. For example I want Zeus to either throw a lightning bolt or cast a spell (like Phantasy) but not at the same time.
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

dulsi wrote: "Caster only" target option has been added. I've also added "tags" to monsters. Right now they don't do anything. I plan on using it to implement HOWA. So you would tag all the monsters you want to effect as "undead".
This is going to be changeable, correct? So, you could tag certain monsters as undead or demonic or animal, etc.

Also, I've run into a situation where I'm wondering if something is available. I know we have local and global flags, but is there a way we could have named flags? I'm trying to set up a tavern with random events that require many flags. Being able to just create a flag that I've named will make things easier.

The ability to use multiple vendors would be awesome as well.
"Using No Way as Way; Having No Limitation As Limitation". - Bruce Lee.

BTBuilder Stuff - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

sombunall wrote:Darn. You answered so fast I had to un-edit my post!

I kind of wish I could make 1 spell follow programming rules for effects. For example I want Zeus to either throw a lightning bolt or cast a spell (like Phantasy) but not at the same time.

This falls under my multiple attack options I've asked for.
"Using No Way as Way; Having No Limitation As Limitation". - Bruce Lee.

BTBuilder Stuff - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Methuselas wrote:This is going to be changeable, correct? So, you could tag certain monsters as undead or demonic or animal, etc.
Do you even have to ask? :) Of course it will be configurable.
Methuselas wrote:Also, I've run into a situation where I'm wondering if something is available. I know we have local and global flags, but is there a way we could have named flags? I'm trying to set up a tavern with random events that require many flags. Being able to just create a flag that I've named will make things easier.

The ability to use multiple vendors would be awesome as well.
Those ideas have been planned for a while. I've added them onto the wiki.

Methuselas is correct your problem implementing Zeus's attecks should be solved with multiple attacks per monster instead of just melee and a special attack. Granted I've been planning on adding a random spell effect. This would be used to implement the BT1 summons that could summon two different monster types. Right now I don't believe summons work as you would expect when cast by an enemy. I implemented what BTCS had and planned to fix later. (My general thought has always been to run BTCS games. However it appears everyone want to design Bt Builder games and forget that BTCS existed. Which I understand given it's limitations.)
sombunall

Post by sombunall »

dulsi wrote:However it appears everyone want to design Bt Builder games and forget that BTCS existed.
BTCS what's that? :shock:

Seriously I only found out what it was after going to your website. :lol: