Challenge Achievements

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Ether

Challenge Achievements

Post by Ether »

I imagine most players here have seen how new games have achievements for doing something.

So, is such a system existed back in 1986 (or if an exact port was made available for sale on XBox, iPhone, etc), what would be some of yours?

Leave out obvious plot/playthrough ones (kill Mangar, find the Silver shapes, win 100 battles, etc), but ones that serve more of a challenge.

A few that I can think of:

- Defeat all 396 Beserkers (Harkyn's Castle) in 1 round.
When I would farm these guys for EXP, I always made it my goal. I would say I could do it about a third of the time

- Defeat the Jabberwocky
This sounds like a playthough achievement, but it's technically not since you can teleport of phase door your way to the Crystal Sword. When I did fight it I usually got the crap beat out of me

- Defeat the 4 Guardian Statues in front of Harkyn's Castle in a row without using a healing spell

- Trap Mangar with the Spectre Snare
Don't think I've ever tried this. May not be possible

- Defeat a Doppleganger after it has infiltrated your party.

- Win a battle while being outnumbered with only one character left.
I wouldn't try to do this, but I'm sure we've all had that situation
caars

Re: Challenge Achievements

Post by caars »

Let's see, here's a few that might qualify that I've done (both intentionally and not) - I'm limiting myself to BT1 only:

Kill Mangar in the first round of combat, on the first move of the round with a deathstrike spell.

Completely map out both the Sewers and Harkyn's Castle, and solve all "plot" encounters there (except for the Mad God) before even figuring out how to get into the Catacombs.

Make it through the fight with the spectres outside of Mangar's chambers without taking a single level drain (only actually managed to pull this off once).
Modules for BT Builder (still very much works in progress):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Ether

Post by Ether »

I'm just focusing on BT1 right now.
I'll do one for the others is this generates some buzz; I have a few ideas for BT2, not so much so BT3.
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

This is an interesting idea. I might need to add that capability into Bt Builder at some point.