Somebody needs to be the first to post

Another Interplay game in a Bard's Tale like style
Toll

Somebody needs to be the first to post

Post by Toll »

Hi all,

I really enjoyed this game way back when. In some ways I found it better than the BT series. But overall the BT series was better!

I don't think you can really compare this game to the BT series, although many believe it to be the 4th BT game. Still the game was very enjoyable to play!

Toll :D
ckdamascus

Post by ckdamascus »

I want to play this game! I am thinking I should try it on the Amiga since I do like the nicer graphics and sound. The only reason I play Bard's Tale 3 on the C64 is because the other versions are so bugged/broken.

Seems like Dragon Wars turned off a lot of people since it didn't use the standard systems so people seemed unfamiliar with it. That is always a hard sell.

However, for those who did play it, they all said it was great and relatively bug free!

Maybe I should try it hmmmmm.
danp68

Post by danp68 »

I never gave it a fair shot either. It didn't capture my imagination right away, so I gave up on it. I still have all the disks at home buried somewhere.

Maybe it's time to try it under Vice64 and see what I really think of it. I really loved Thief of Fate, and the same basic programming team is behind Dragon Wars, so I'd expect that it would be worth trying again.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

In fact Dragon wars was the sequel to BT3, which was suggested to EA by the developer team, but EA gave up on rpg's. So they produced it in their own new company, however they haven't had any rights in the characters or brands of the "Tales of the unknown" aka "BT".
danp68

Post by danp68 »

Right. Now that you mentioned that, I think I remember why I bought it in the first place. 8) It allowed you to import BT3 characters, didn't it?
8bitweapon

Post by 8bitweapon »

Dragon Wars was an amazing game for the Apple II. The c64 version was a little buggy and dint load as fast or run as smooth as the other versions before or after it. In fact, mosters went to a blue skie, brown ground background for all battles instead of the level background as it does on all the other versions of the game.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I just finished playing through it for the first time ever over the past month. On the whole, I enjoyed it. I kept trying to convince myself that in spirit, this game was Bard's Tale IV, although the game engine felt more like a hybrid between Bard's Tale III and Wasteland.

The best part about it (and Wasteland, for that matter) was the completely non-linear gameplay. After you escape Purgatory, you can pretty much go anywhere you want, as long as you can stay alive there. They don't make cRPGs like that anymore -- these days, games are just railroads with you just along for a ride looking at the pretty pictures.

The part I did not like was dealing with my inventory. It was not very clear which weapons were better (price was not always an indicator), and there was no way to store away my excess stuff that I didn't want to throw away or sell. I tend to be a packrat when playing these games, so this was particularly difficult for me.

BTW, I made a comprehensive monster list for this game, like I did for BT1-3. Don't know if there is any place to post it around here, since this site does not have a Dragon Wars section.

Marco.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

8bitweapon wrote:Dragon Wars was an amazing game for the Apple II. The c64 version was a little buggy and dint load as fast or run as smooth as the other versions before or after it. In fact, mosters went to a blue skie, brown ground background for all battles instead of the level background as it does on all the other versions of the game.
Uh. What?
PetrusOctavianus

Re: Somebody needs to be the first to post

Post by PetrusOctavianus »

Dragon Wars is often hailed as the unofficial Bard's Tale 4, but IMO it was more like Wasteland, with the skill system and unlinearity.

The best things about Wasteland was the setting (not as generic as Bard's Tale), the writing, less random encounters, and multiple solutions to solved problems.

But in other ways it was not as good as Bard's Tale. There was no randomization; all loot was hand placed, and the encounters, while thankfully much less frequent than in BT, had quite a limited number of monster combinations, so even if there were far fewer enocunters, you still felt that you lept fighting the same battles.