Labyrinth Lord

Bard's Tale sequels related discussions
kingius

Labyrinth Lord

Post by kingius »

There is a kickstarter for a project to make a Bard's Tale style game for the PC called Labyrinth Lord here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/55 ... nav_search
dulsi

Re: Labyrinth Lord

Post by dulsi »

A video game is better of with a video if you have a prototype you can show. You don't include a lot of information about the game. I found your post on goblinoid games which mentioned perhaps having random dungeons. I don't know from your kickstarter if that is the current plan or if it is a set storyline. Are you working by yourself? Is the current artwork placeholders or the style you are intending? What will the money be going to?

I like the wilderness look. I'm not familiar with the two games you reference for wilderness play.

Good luck on your kickstarter. I have my own Bard's Tale like engine I've been developing. Information can be found in the Bard's Tale Construction Set forum. It doesn't do combat formations nor vancian magic.
kingius

Post by kingius »

I was a bit nervous about putting a video together for the game having not done that before but I may have to bite the bullet further into the campaign as it is something that Kickstarter recommends too.

I'll be handcrafting dungeons and saving randomly generated ones for another project as there does seem to be preference here for hand crafted. Also some of the rewards include player designed dungeons. So I'm looking at a 'set storyline' or campaign, similar to how the first Bard's Tale was a campaign against Mangar, so there'll be a sandbox style game with an overall story goal to complete it.

Most of the current art is placeholders and funds will go towards improving the visual aspect of the game, improving the engine and finishing off the campaign itself so it is a complete game. I am working by myself but I would pay for artwork during the full development.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I'll check out your engine too. Vancian magic has its foilbles and is more difficult to program than a straight up mana system as there is more to it (memorisation, spell level slots, resting) and there are a lot of spells in labyrinth lord (over a hundred when you add cleric to magic user).
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Labyrinth Lord looks cool. The kickstarter lists the funding as cancelled 2 days ago although the funding period end date was to be May 16, 2015. Are you still going to be working on this? or is it completely abandoned?
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Looks like Goblinoid Games wanted it canceled. Miscommunication seems to be the problem. Goblinoid Games is willing to license Labyrith Lord to Pete King but seem to want him further along. Should he have failed to deliver on the kickstarter, it would have negatively affected their brand. He should post an update to project about why it was canceled IMHO.

Pete King appears to have started a new kickstarter. It's a different style than Bard's Tale. I still think Pete needs to refine his pitch. He needs a video of the prototype in action. He needs information on where the funding will be going. I'm not saying he can't create the game he is proposing but at this stage I wouldn't back the project. (Well as a windows only game he can't get my backing anyway but that is another matter.)
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Apparently he started Blood Rune some time ago and was planning a 2012 release. I wish the developer good luck but I'm afraid that doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. If you haven't completed in 3 years why will this money be sufficient to complete it?