Monsters key on Thief?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Saxon1974

Monsters key on Thief?

Post by Saxon1974 »

It seems the monsters always attack my thief and he keeps getting killed. He is in fourth position.

Do monsters attack the weakest party member?
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

The AI is random... I think.

The reason your rogue is getting toasted is his substandard AC and low HP. If you actually count things up, he probably is not getting attacked more, but is getting hit more.

Your rogue will eventually be able to hang with the meat-shields, but maybe he needs better equipment first.
Death and drek? WTF?
Saxon1974

Post by Saxon1974 »

Ok thanks. Yea my fighters are like -2 and -3 armor class and Rogue is at 1 I think so dying quickly.
Horpner

Post by Horpner »

I wanted to come back and revisit this topic quickly, based on further experience.

I now think the monsters AI does indeed key on vulnerable members left on the front lines.
Death and drek? WTF?
WarrioirOfIce

Re:

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

Horpner wrote:I wanted to come back and revisit this topic quickly, based on further experience.

I now think the monsters AI does indeed key on vulnerable members left on the front lines.
indeed, and if we have low level characters mixed with high level characters, we can't run away from monsters as easily.
jrodman

Re: Re:

Post by jrodman »

WarrioirOfIce wrote:
Horpner wrote:I wanted to come back and revisit this topic quickly, based on further experience.

indeed, and if we have low level characters mixed with high level characters, we can't run away from monsters as easily.
Okay, so *that* is why trying to do Oscon was so frustrating when I filled in my party with summons. In the end I went and bought a pair of speedboots back from Garth, but not before spending a while trying to figure out what the heck was going on. My least favorite part was when I was "attacked" by my summoned wizard-wall.