Troll Bridge

Anything you like and probably not related to Bard's Tale
dulsi

Troll Bridge

Post by dulsi »

Troll Bridge is a Legend of Zelda like game I developed back in college. It was never very playable. My kids have taken an interest so I've done some work to make it easy to install and fix it up.

Methuselas asked about graphics for the game. At the time that I wrote the program VGA graphics (320x200 256 color) was used. Squares are 20 x 16. Most enemies fill one square with bosses sometimes filling more. Enemies are colored such that they can be color shifted. At the time of the development I used an old dos painting program called paintbrush to make pcx files. Troll Bridge utilities converted those files in a text format. The text format would be compiled into a big sprite file.

The code suffers from neglect. It never switched to supporting more than 256 colors. While the screen can be multiplied to display larger, better graphics cannot be substituted. The image/level editing tools are horrible beyond belief. It has a dos version but no windows version.
Methuselas

Re: Troll Bridge

Post by Methuselas »

Okay tell me how the graphics work and tell me how I can look at your default art files. 8)
"Using No Way as Way; Having No Limitation As Limitation". - Bruce Lee.

BTBuilder Stuff - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

*bump*
"Using No Way as Way; Having No Limitation As Limitation". - Bruce Lee.

BTBuilder Stuff - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Well you can convert the image text files into a pcx file using text2pcx in the util folder. Go to the data/images folder. Run:

Code: Select all

..\..\util\text2pcx -p..\trollpal.txt troll\trolla0.txt
That will create troll\trolla0.pcx. The "transparent" color is color 255 which will be black. Unfortunately you have no ability to tell the difference between that black and any black used in the image. The trollpal.txt is a gimp palette which is a simple text file. Not all the 256 colors are used at this point.

The tools for troll bridge are very primitive.