Forgotten Forces - a new grid-based dungeoncrawler

Anything you like and probably not related to Bard's Tale
Tassilo

Forgotten Forces - a new grid-based dungeoncrawler

Post by Tassilo »

Hello, Bards, Thiefs and Knights.
I would like to introduce you to a new game we're working on: Forgotten Forces. Having started my cRPG-carreer with Bard's Tale I on a CPC, I'm highly influenced by the game (and others like FATE, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, Might & Magic...) and was lacking a dungeoncrawler that manages to evoke the feelings of those classics. Most modern games were missing something to me.
Thus Forgotten Forces is not only going to be painted in Pixelart, but will feature a colorful world, vivid characters and come with a matching music that will have your ears travel back in time joyfully.
If you're interested to hear more, I'd be happy to keep you updated. On https://www.facebook.com/forgottenforces we've also got a facebook-site for the game.
Please tell me what you think, looking forward to discussing the game with you.
Best,
Tassilo
Attachments
Screenshot-07-23-01-Logos.png
Screenshot-07-23-01-Logos.png (252.75 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
Tassilo

Re: Forgotten Forces - a new grid-based dungeoncrawler

Post by Tassilo »

Hi guys.

There is now a video preview of Forgotten Forces available. Take a look at https://youtu.be/s9elIHy3UHA to see more of the game.

Thanks,
Tassilo
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Seems you have been "inspired" alot by M&M 3, loads of the gfx look like direct rips... ;)

Action timer battles? After all in M&M6 u had the choice for "real-time" or "round-based" battles. Personally I prefer the latter.

Besides this critics it looks very nice. I dunno if and when I find the time to give it a try, when it is out.

All the best of luck!
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

ZeroZero wrote:Seems you have been "inspired" alot by M&M 3, loads of the gfx look like direct rips... ;)
Hm, can hardly see the similarity, though I played it back in the days. What do you mean, the characters?
ZeroZero wrote:Action timer battles? After all in M&M6 u had the choice for "real-time" or "round-based" battles. Personally I prefer the latter.
Now that sounds very interesting - I never played 6, will have to do so!

Thanks,
Tassilo
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Well the rat looked very close to the one of MM 3 to 5, but I just checked, they are different.

As for MM6, afai remember it was the first MM with free movement (incl. flying). I recall there was a setting to have all fights in real time or round based.

Imo by the nature of RPGs (I am an early 70s pen and paper player) the round based style is the natural one, because after all it is not a simulation but a role play. Real time fights imho are rather "action games" than rpgs.

However that are just my 2 cents and after all it surely is a matter of taste and preferences.
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

ZeroZero wrote:Imo by the nature of RPGs (I am an early 70s pen and paper player) the round based style is the natural one, because after all it is not a simulation but a role play. Real time fights imho are rather "action games" than rpgs.
I am, myself, an P&P-RPGr of the mid-eighties and while I know how you feel and love turn-based crawlers myself, I am aiming for an action based approach in this game. Games like Eye of the Beholder have proven the appeal of such.
I also think that the turn-based character has been used due to putting some order and rules into it, to avoid chaos breaking out. A computer is able to handle fast-paced battles. The RPG-principle works fine with action based battles (which actually just lack the pause between actions, don't they?).
But as I said, I get and follow your point. Along with Forgotten Forces, we are also working on Days of Dawn, which is a turn-based game (but with free movement, without a grid). I love the Etrian Odyssey series, for example.
Tassilo

Post by Tassilo »

We're now on Steam Greenlight with Forgotten Forces. Any support and thumbs up would be highly appreciated!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =503607926
Thank you!
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

While we were talking about MM6: the ENTER key toggles between real time and round based fights.