Bt Builder

Discussions and help for the Bard's Tale Construction Set
Methuselas

Re: Bt Builder

Post by Methuselas »

There are some animation issues with the arm I didn't see before. Also, I'm removing the lights from my scenes and just sticking with the Sun Domes. They seem to look fine and render faster. Removing the lights on this one and just using Sun Domes reduced the render time per frame from 45 minutes to 8.

I made a boo boo. All my previous renders were off on height by 4 pixels. I have to redo them all. -_- I thought it was 84 pixels for some reason and not 88.
"Using No Way as Way; Having No Limitation As Limitation". - Bruce Lee.

BTBuilder Stuff - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
caars

Post by caars »

I don't suppose you have the AD&D "Book of the Undead" (I forget what the actual title was)? It was a series of mini adventures each featuring one of the classic types of undead.

I mention it because your wight is a dead-ringer (har har har) for the mental impression that work's description of what a wight looks like gave me... nicely done! :)
Modules for BT Builder (still very much works in progress):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

I do have it, actually, but like I said, I based it off the image from the 1st Monster Manual. Glad you like it.

Working on new animations, through iClone. I don't know why the model glitched. -_-

dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Methuselas: If you want to get me the new monster images, I can certainly do a new release. I'm afraid I haven't done much with btbuilder recently. Been too busy with everything else. However, my pocketchip arrived. With one minor fix btbuilder is up and running.
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

Okay, yeah. I'll upload a link to what I've done, so far. Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I got sucked into Skyrim, after watching my wife playing it for the past couple of weeks. (I'd never played it.) Gimme til tomorrow to check all the images I've done and I'll upload what I have done.

Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

Okay, I have to re-render the Hunters, the male Monk and the Wight (I never rendered it, after I fixed the animation.) Everything else is done. I have the imagetag.xml updated.

caars

Post by caars »

Oooooo! New update with new art! Makes me happy! :)

If it can be squeezed into the next release, I'd like to make two requests in the spirit of "things I hope are really simple to do" - if not, don't worry about it!

1st - The percentage chance of an encounter attached to a map can have chances that are less than 1% (i.e. fractional percentages - like 16.67%, 8.83%, 0.05%, etc.). That would let me program 1-4 group random encounters with total encounter chances less than 4% per move - which actually tends to give more encounters than I'd like.

2nd - A script command that allows you to add (or subtract) a random number (from 1 to whatever you want to set) to/from the counter. That would actually allow me to greatly simplify some of my special scripts...

Ultimately, I'd love to see "variable" support in the special editor with the ability to set basic character attributes to a variable, do math on the variable, and use the variable in place of a set number in script commands:

i.e. stuff like

sp_spent = GetMaxSP(character_selected) - GetCurrentSP(character_selected)
gp_sprestore_cost = 15 * sp_spent
take gp_sprestore_cost from character_selected

But I do imagine that is probably kind of down the line...
Modules for BT Builder (still very much works in progress):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

Here's the new image files (plus a few more goodies I was working on.) Adds 23 new images. The list is below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwpB_j ... sp=sharing

Slot 2 - Komodo Dragon (Static)
Slot 3 - Red Dragon (Static)
Slot 4 - Black Dragon (Static)
Slot 5 - Wolf (Static)
Slot 7 - Ogre
Slot 9 - Green Slime
Slot 14 - Lizardman (Static)
Slot 16 - Rat (Static)
Slot 24 - Skeleton
Slot 25 - Spider (Static)
Slot 33 - Male Bard
Slot 34 - Male Hunter
Slot 35 - Male Monk (Static)
Slot 77 - Female Bard
Slot 78 - Female Hunter
Slot 79 - Female Monk (Static)
Slot 230 - Zombie
Slot 231 - Ghoul 1
Slot 232 - Ghoul 2
Slot 307 - Blue Dragon (Static)
Slot 308 - Green Dragon (Static)
Slot 374 - Wight
Slot 375 - Gelatinous Cube (Static)

Just drag and drop the files to the appropriate directory. the imagetag.xml has been updated, so use the one in the 7z archive.

dulsi

Post by dulsi »

imagetag.xml includes you are artist of 373 which doesn't have an image. Do you have an image for that one or should I remove the artist information?

I've added street names to the map editor. It is very crude. It doesn't display map information anywhere. 'b' clears a street name from the current square. 'n' allows you to select the street name or create a new one. 'm' sets the current square to the last used street name. When the game finds street names it prints "You are on <streetname> facing <direction>." when you press '?'. It doesn't support "You're in the Grand Plaz." used in BT1.
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

dulsi wrote:imagetag.xml includes you are artist of 373 which doesn't have an image. Do you have an image for that one or should I remove the artist information?

373 is slotted (no pun intended) for the Orc Shaman. I added it, 'cos I needed to add 374 and 375 (I believe I also added blank spots for 99 and 100, which were missing, as well.). I do have an image for it, but it's not finalized, so feel free to remove my name from it. It was an oversight on my part.

Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

More slots:

Slot 11 - Female Rogue
Slot 35 - Male Monk
Slot 78 - Female Monk
Slot 98 - Female Rogue 01
Slot 266 - Walking Wyvern
Slot 267 - Flying Wyvern

All these are animated. Just replace the previous imagetag.xml with the new one and drag and drop the rest.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwpB_ ... EhqNWtSZGM

I'm probably going to switch over completely to iClone. The renders aren't as nice (no iRay), but animation is a lot easier and works better with reverse knee legs.

[EDIT] - LOL! It might help if I added the link. :roll:

Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

Okay, I've been playing with iClone a lot more (I should, since I bought it.) I've been using it to animate Bips for Civilization and I love it. Now, the rendering engine isn't the best (it's not iRay and on par with Mental Ray, which is what I've been using for all the tilesets and gamescreens), but it's super fast, so easy to animate in, has particle effects and EXCELLENT lip syncing animations. I'm not ready just yet to burn another 200$ to get an iRay equivalent renderer for iClone, since I basically use it solely for animation purposes, but I want everyone's opinion on what they think of the test render I did. Now, I didn't add soft body physics to the hair or clothes (yes, I can do that too), nor did I do anything with the textures, but I am just looking for opinions on whether or not this is an acceptable render for the game.

dulsi

Post by dulsi »

The render quality seems fine to me.

I've released 0.5.9. I didn't get a chance to include many of caars requests. I did allow you to specify 0.1% but not like that. The default die roll for encounters is 1d100. You can now modify that to a different die roll. So if you specify it as 1d1000 and you set the chance of an encounter to 1, that is the equivalent of 0.1%.

The reason for this release is mainly my PocketCHIP. I showed it to my coworkers running btbuilder. The first comment was "isn't it hard to read". They are right. The screen is 480 x 272 and btbuilder was running 320 x 200 with black all around it. I plan on showing it off again on Thursday to a linux user group so I needed to fix that complaint. While I could try scaling things myself, SDL2 has this built in. Windows versions of all the SDL2 libraries I need are now available for my crosscompiler. Bt Builder is now compiled with SDL2.

Street names can be added but are not visible in the editor. 'b' clears a street name from the current square. 'n' allows you to select the street name or create a new one. 'm' sets the current square to the last used street name. When the game finds street names it prints "You are on >streetname< facing >direction<." when you press '?'.

Methuselas's updated images are included.
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

dulsi wrote:The render quality seems fine to me.

I've released 0.5.9. I didn't get a chance to include many of caars requests. I did allow you to specify 0.1% but not like that. The default die roll for encounters is 1d100. You can now modify that to a different die roll. So if you specify it as 1d1000 and you set the chance of an encounter to 1, that is the equivalent of 0.1%.
Okay, I've always wondered this, but when you have multiple groups, how exactly does the randomization work? Say I have 4 different ones, 1 group, 2 group, 3 group and 4 group. They're all set to 5%. Does it go down the list, so if 1 group doesn't hit 5%, it goes to 2 group, etc.? I wonder if the higher number of groups should be first or lower number of groups.
dulsi wrote:The reason for this release is mainly my PocketCHIP. I showed it to my coworkers running btbuilder. The first comment was "isn't it hard to read". They are right. The screen is 480 x 272 and btbuilder was running 320 x 200 with black all around it. I plan on showing it off again on Thursday to a linux user group so I needed to fix that complaint. While I could try scaling things myself, SDL2 has this built in. Windows versions of all the SDL2 libraries I need are now available for my crosscompiler. Bt Builder is now compiled with SDL2.
So, does this mean I need to start making larger images? It will scale to any size? Obviously, larger files means larger file size. We don't want to go up from small, but down from large.

Glad you're okay with the new images. I've got a few characters from Daz ready to import to iClone. I'm working on learning how to use particles, so I can make some Wizard animations.

dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Methuselas wrote:Okay, I've always wondered this, but when you have multiple groups, how exactly does the randomization work? Say I have 4 different ones, 1 group, 2 group, 3 group and 4 group. They're all set to 5%. Does it go down the list, so if 1 group doesn't hit 5%, it goes to 2 group, etc.? I wonder if the higher number of groups should be first or lower number of groups.
Rolls 1d100:
1-5 = 1 group
6-10 = 2 group
11-15 = 3 group
16-20 = 4 group

It shouldn't matter where they are if the random numbers are good. You have a 1 in 100 chance of getting a number. Now it is bit different if you change it to 2d50 numbers no longer have the same odds. I don't recommend two or more dice. It is easier to understand with one die.
Methuselas wrote:So, does this mean I need to start making larger images? It will scale to any size? Obviously, larger files means larger file size. We don't want to go up from small, but down from large.
I did debate moving entirely to 640x400 but I ported Troll Bridge to SDL2 and it ran slow on my PocketCHIP. I thought it was because it is 8-bit color initially. Eventually I found that Bt Builder is also slow but as a turn based game you don't notice it except for animations. PocketCHIP does not have hardware acceleration at the moment which is using by SDL2 to do scaling. I threw together a quick and easy scaling function for software rendering. It now runs well but the routine is very simple and not good. We still need the lower resolution right now. Hopefully PocketCHIP gets hardware acceleration soon.