Should I convert charakters to BT2?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
DeCasale

Should I convert charakters to BT2?

Post by DeCasale »

Hi Folks! Does it make sense to take the victorious charakters after killing Mangar into BT2 regarding the balance in the first dungeons? Do the enemys also getting stronger, or do I have to face hundreds of very easy, very boring fights until the higher dungeons?
caars

Re: Should I convert charakters to BT2?

Post by caars »

DeCasale wrote:Hi Folks! Does it make sense to take the victorious charakters after killing Mangar into BT2 regarding the balance in the first dungeons? Do the enemys also getting stronger, or do I have to face hundreds of very easy, very boring fights until the higher dungeons?
Yes, it makes sense to import BT1 characters into BT2. As I recall, while the first floor of the first dungeon is pretty easy using imported characters, by the time you are to the third floor the monsters aren't complete pushovers any more (although the experience rewards and difficulty still aren't up to par compared to the end of BT1). I remember things had "caught up" completely by about the 3rd dungeon: by that point on the game was harder than the encounters in Mangar's Tower.

If you want a bit more detail: for the 3rd and 4th dungeons, I was letting encounters go as they came (i.e. I was fighting what I got, but not spending any time to linger and grind XP to level). By the time I was to dungeon five, I was actually grinding XP to make sure the characters gained a few levels in each of the dungeons.

If there is a particular character class you really found useless in BT1 it isn't going to hurt you to replace that character with a new level 1 character in a class you want to try out ... that character will gain experience and level up fast enough to really be back to being viable again even by the end of the 3rd major dungeon.

One word of advance, if you are importing BT1 characters, you *should* skip the starter dungeon entirely. It's whole purpose is to get the party to (at least) level 14, and if you are already level 14 or higher, the rewards are simply not worth the effort unless you just want to see everything in the game for the hell of it...

Normal disclaimer: this is just based on my opinions from the two (really two and a half) times I've played through the game. It's just how I preferred to play it - it's not some generally accepted 'optimal strategy.'

2nd (and more important) disclaimer: A very common choice for a character class to "scrap" as useless is the rogue - and they kind of are in BT1 and 2. If, however, you are wanting to take a single party through all three games, it's worth knowing you *cannot* finish BT3 without a rogue (and the game makes rogue a LOT more useful than they were in BT1 and BT2). It's also worth mentioning that BT3 is set up so that it really doesn't matter if you wait until the start of BT3 to even create your rogue - he (or she) will still be ungodly high level by the end of that game. So how you handle the rogue situation is totally up to you: add/replace a character with a newly created rogue in BT3. Take a rogue all the way through BT1 and BT2 as "dead weight" so that you've got a high level one when you start BT3. Or some hybrid thereof (you took a rogue through BT1, determined he's useless, replaced him for BT2, and then put him back in the party for BT3).
Modules for BT Builder (still very much works in progress):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
DeCasale

Re: Should I convert charakters to BT2?

Post by DeCasale »

Wow I guess this is the most helpful answer I EVER had in my forum-life :D

Thanks a lot!

Indeed I thought about rejecting my rogue, but now I won‘t anymore. Really looking forward to BT 2 and 3!