Saving individual characters

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Toddhitch

Saving individual characters

Post by Toddhitch »

Greetings All,

I just started playing again after finding the ipad version of this classic game. I remember as many of you running through square by square with my graph paper to mark the map and my lined paper to track experience for the next level. This was back on my dad's 8086 computer with 5mb hard drive. Ha! Then on my original Mac SE, what fun with this game, Wizardry and Might & Magic among others.

I completed the game back then and as with the rest of you remember the great rooms that would give the best exp.

Here is my question. In the ipad version of the game there is no way to remove a single member of the party. You have to remove them all at once. This essentially, iirc, eliminated the ability to duplicate gold and items. Has anyone found a way to redo this trick in the ipad version? Fortunately each new character created has gold, so I duplicated probably about 20,000 gold in order to make it through the first few levels after so many deaths. I wonder if it is possible to actually make it through the first few levels without dying.

Im at level 11 with my team (Paladin, Monk, Hunter, Magician & Conjurerx2). Just found the black widows in the 2nd level of the sewer which give 850+xp per fight...and with FLRE, I'm good to go for at least 10 fights.
rakenan

Post by rakenan »

I don't think there's a way to save individual characters (and thus dupe items) in the iPad version. You don't have a character disk to swap (I don't think, anyway) and you automatically save the full party at once. I think you're out of luck on this one.

I'm wondering if the iPad version is just super hard or something. I've been playing the game myself, and haven't been dying all that much - the only difference I can see between your party and mine is that I have a bard instead of the second conjurer. I hardly died at all, though, and have been in the Catacombs since about level 10, where the experience is insane and the drops are sweet - just got a Bardsword, unlimited songs are crazy OP in this game. And to think, my first play through back in the day, I didn't feel like my bard was very useful.

Edit: I was playing around with a C64 version and I noticed that characters are meaningfully weaker starting out there than on the Apple IIgs version. I wonder if my IIgs version is hacked to give new characters a bonus. So far, it looks like +1 to all stats and +10 to HP at the start of the game - god knows if the game gives bonuses elsewhere.