Different Versions of Bard's Tale for the NES

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale Nintendo Entertainement System
GoldenAxeWarrior

Different Versions of Bard's Tale for the NES

Post by GoldenAxeWarrior »

So I've had my copy of Bard's Tale for about 10 years, played a bunch when I got it, and only recently got back into playing my NES.

About a year ago I watched a long play of someone, see if they knew anything I didn't, and noticed a very very strange thing. When he got into a fight with 3 groups of Kobolds, they were in 3 different colors! Each group gets a distinctly different color.

The thing is, my copy isn't like that, in my copy when you fight 3 Kobolds, they are all green, every single time.

My question is, does anyone have this game, and can you confirm really quickly which one you have, the multi-colored version or the 'standard' version.

While examining the site I found a file called BT-NES-Screenshots.zip
The very first screenshot shows 3 Kobolds, all exactly the same color.

At about 7:22 in this video you can see he is fighting, 3 different colored Kobolds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPxN4wJf_0

I couldn't find a speck of information on the entire Internet about this, so I figured this was the best place to ask.

EDIT: I should have mentioned, I am trying to find out if there is a way to tell the 2 different versions apart, from the outside. If you have a version of the mutli-colored Kobolds, PLEASE let me know so we can compare. The only real difference I've seen is that some versions have a brighter red for the background. Again thanks!

Thank you for reading this, and for helping me solve my quest of discovering why some people have different versions!
GoldenAxeWarrior

Post by GoldenAxeWarrior »

At about 7:22 in this video you can see he is fighting, 3 different colored Kobolds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKPxN4wJf_0
Upon watching more of his videos, I noticed he was using an emulator to play his version, I am currently waiting for him to reply about what emulator/rom file he used, plus any more information he might have about why his version is so different.

Will be back with more updates soon!