Hide in Shadows

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
dulsi

Hide in Shadows

Post by dulsi »

Has anyone played around with hide in shadows and can tell me how it works? If not I'll try it out myself when I get a chance. Specifically:

1) Can you be attacked while hidden? Area attacks I believe still affect you but can you be targeted by melee attacks.
2) Can you hide in shadows when you are the only living person?
3) Can an entire party hide in shadows if everyone are thieves?

I'm planning on implementing BT3's hide in shadows in Bt Builder.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Not sure about the last two, but the answer to 1) is no, you can't be attacked. (And I'm sure you know this, but it's only BT3 you can attack from the shadows and critical hit - the first two games you just skip out of combat, which makes rogues pretty much useless.)
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Methuselas wrote:That's from the AppleII version. Hope it helps. That attack is with a mthr dagger, so the attack increases by level. I'm not sure by how much, however.
Either the dos version is different or it isn't just by level. I have 120 level thief with a short sword who did 3 damage. Granted 3 damage strikes me as odd as well. One would think the 30 strength would add more to the damage than that.
drifting

Post by drifting »

dulsi wrote:
Methuselas wrote:That's from the AppleII version. Hope it helps. That attack is with a mthr dagger, so the attack increases by level. I'm not sure by how much, however.
Either the dos version is different or it isn't just by level. I have 120 level thief with a short sword who did 3 damage. Granted 3 damage strikes me as odd as well. One would think the 30 strength would add more to the damage than that.
The DOS version is riddled with major bugs. I would take the Apple/C64 versions as the reference version.
Darendor

Re: Hide in Shadows

Post by Darendor »

dulsi wrote:Has anyone played around with hide in shadows and can tell me how it works? If not I'll try it out myself when I get a chance. Specifically:

1) Can you be attacked while hidden? Area attacks I believe still affect you but can you be targeted by melee attacks.
2) Can you hide in shadows when you are the only living person?
3) Can an entire party hide in shadows if everyone are thieves?

I'm planning on implementing BT3's hide in shadows in Bt Builder.

1) No.
2) Yes. However, if you try to advance 10' by hiding in shadows and are discovered before all the enemies have had their turn, it's probably curtains...
3) Yes.

Note: My answers are based on my playing the C64 version only.