BT1 released for Android

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Flanimal

BT1 released for Android

Post by Flanimal »

I'm very impressed with the BT1 that comes with the Android App for The Bards Tale. They have enhanced the sound and music, and have provided a splendid interface to utilise the touchscreen and the virtual keyboard of smartphones.

I completed the BT1 on the C64 and created extremely high level characters, which probably took about 400 hours of my life! I don't want to have to build up characters again because I feel I have earned god-like characters already. Is that lazy? ;) The BT1 Android game gives options for loading parties or members. Would any of you good chaps be able to advise me on where to get a comptible file for a super party, and how to load this into the game on the Android?

Cheers.
Maven

Post by Maven »

I would be willing to attempt to transfer your characters into the Android app.

Unfortunately, I don't have an Android system. It might be possible to just modify the files. Are the characters in the Android system kept in a file or files? Could you build a low level party, play a few minutes, and then post the files for analysis?

Do you have the files (or at least the stats) for your uber characters that you want transferred?
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

Thanks for your offers of help.

Unfortunately I've had to uninstall the Bards Tale from my Android phone as I completed the remake, and while I want to retain the original 1980s Bards Tale version on my smartphone, I don't want the cost of the 1.8Gb of space required for the game!

I emailed the developers and they say that for legal requirements, they can only distribute the originals with the modern version of the game, and not separately.

I'm disappointed about this as the bundled verions of the original were extremely slick, with an updated interface for the smartphone touchscreen, and with enhanced music and sound. It seems to me that the games are based on an emulated version, but I'm not sure which platform is being emulated. Perhaps Amiga, or Apple II? All in all I think this is probably the best implementation of BT1 ever, especially as there is no disk accessing delays.

I wonder if I can install the game (1.8Gb of it), delete the bulk of the files, and still play the original BT1 version? I will have to try this sometime. I imagine the Apple iOS version is the same?
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

Methuselas wrote:
Flanimal wrote:Thanks for your offers of help.

Unfortunately I've had to uninstall the Bards Tale from my Android phone as I completed the remake, and while I want to retain the original 1980s Bards Tale version on my smartphone, I don't want the cost of the 1.8Gb of space required for the game!

I emailed the developers and they say that for legal requirements, they can only distribute the originals with the modern version of the game, and not separately.

How the hell is it 1.8GBs of space??!?? That's ridiculous!!!

It's for the Playstation 2 version of "The Bard's Tale", the one with all the voice acting. And the 1.8Gb is for the standard version of the game, aparrently there's a Hi Res bitmap version that takes up 3.5Gb!!! It is Androids 'biggest' game apparently. And it seems that if you want the 1980s BT1 only, you have to put up with the memory requirements of the Playstation 2 game. :evil:
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

Methuselas wrote:Well, you can hound Dulsi to finish BTBuilder. ;P I have a friend of mine waiting to port it to android, but he won't, until it's finished. :P
My boss has been threatening to get me a cellphone recently. I may accept since Guilty Dragon is coming to the US. However, porting btbuilder to android would be a lot of work. Android development is Java not C++. I've thought OpenPandora would be a great device to play bt builder on since it has a keyboard.