The tale is over

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
North

The tale is over

Post by North »

The first one anyway. For I finished Tales of the Unknown today.

I played this game as a kid back in '86 or so, but even though I loved the game I never finished it. Much later I tried again twice, but I never played to the end. Then recently I got the iPad version (which is really the Apple II/gs version), and this time I kept going until I finally beat Mangar, which I did earlier today. Finally!

There was something about not having completed this game that kept bugging me, as if my soul were trapped somewhere in those mazes.

Now I'm free.

Yesterday I had a bit of a crisis, I fought Mangar but was beaten badly. Felt like I was too weak, way too weak. I was tired and weary having spent many hours fighting and searching, but when I found Mangar I thought I would win. I lost and morale took a dive. (Especially depressing was the level draining -- I didn't know this could be healed! I saw myself trying and trying, leveling my characters and then failing and having them level-drained back to the starting point. An endless sinister loop.)

Today I did some leveling and worked out a plan. And won. Didn't begin well, the very first thing that happened was one of my fighters becoming stoned (not in the good way).

One annoying thing though, when Kylearan came to congratulate me I accidentally clicked away the first screen (of three) before reading it, but I guess that makes sense from an in-world perspective, the group was tired and didn't listen very carefully.

But anyway, that was that. Guess I'll take on Bard's Tale II eventually.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Congratulations!
North

Post by North »

Thanks. As a kid I didn't know anyone else who liked this game and I had no idea the game was important in any way (in the gaming world), even though I loved it myself. Wouldn't have guessed people would play it, and discuss it, decades later, and even less that I would.

Sometimes you're part of historical events without having a clue. :D
Shaar

Post by Shaar »

Congratulations :D I still battle Mangar, can I ask you what lvl you had when you succeded ?
North

Post by North »

Hey thanks. And sure, here:

Human/Paladin: 27
Human/Warrior: 25
Human/Monk: 27
Elf/Wizard: 15
Elf/Wizard: 13
Elf/Wizard: 12

These are several levels above my first attempt. Taking Wizard as the last class was probably a mistake (harder to level up), but that's what I did.

(I think I didn't level up after the battle, but I'm not sure. I did resurrect a few members and checked the gate to the city.)