IPAD APAR works 'IN' but not 'OUT'

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
cloudlessvisionary

IPAD APAR works 'IN' but not 'OUT'

Post by cloudlessvisionary »

I'm have a frustrating problem..I can use APAR to teleport my party into a dungeon e.g. going from Harkyn's castle level 1 to level 3 but when I try to APAR out again to say 1N, 1E, -2 it disregards the coordinates and dumps me on level one but at the same coordinates where I was on level 3. So i get to exactly where I want to go going in, but not out. It happens in every dungeon (I'm also aware that APAR can't be used on some dungeon levels). I don't recall having this problem when I originally played the Bards Tale on the Atari ST. Does anyone else have this problem on the IPAD version or am I doing something wrong?

By the way, brilliant game and great website guys!
tpth

Post by tpth »

Hmm that's weird. I have the iPad version and it works fine...
rakenan

Post by rakenan »

Are you using the proper coordinates? APAR uses relative coordinates, not absolute coordinates. going to 1n 1e -2 would put you one squre north and 1 square east and 2 levels down from where you are. While I forget the exact coordinates involved, if I assume you are trying to go from the 396 Berserker fight to the entry, those coordinates are not even close.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Ah yeah rakenan makes an excellent point. You need to use relative co-ordinates.
cloudlessvisionary

Yes, it works!

Post by cloudlessvisionary »

Thanks for your replies. I managed to finally work that out (not using absolute coordinates) last night. Is that the same for all versions, using relative coordinates? I can never remember doing that on the Atari ST but then that was over 20 years ago!
Thanks again for your help. It's good to know their are others that also love this great game.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Yeah, every version I've ever played has used relative co-ords.
bujufanta

Post by bujufanta »

anyone know a resource of spots APAR doesn't work ? I'm playing on my iphone5 and am currently in the catacombs levels 2&3 (first time since 1988~ haha), right around there... having trouble hopping around down there with APAR.
~as above so below~
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

APAR shouldn't function on level 3 of the Catacombs as that level is "shielded".
bujufanta

Post by bujufanta »

thanks !!
~as above so below~
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

You're welcome.