transferring characters form bards tale 1 on IPAD

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
cloudlessvisionary

transferring characters form bards tale 1 on IPAD

Post by cloudlessvisionary »

Does anyone know how to transfer characters from the original Bards Tale 1 to Bards Tale 2 on the ipad version?
tpth

Post by tpth »

Hmmm - no idea, haven't tried it yet. Hoping it's do-able, though... :-/
cloudlessvisionary

I managed to work it, not that difficult really. The only problem is that all my items, except for two, have morphed into new ones and I've lost my low ac for most characters. I have also been given all seven segments of the destiny wand! This is my first time playing Destiny Knight. Is this normal?
tpth

Post by tpth »

How did you do it, then?

And what items got changed?
cloudlessvisionary

I went to the picture of the disk in the destiny knight menu and from there you swap the bards tale 1 character disk for the destiny knight character disk. Then just follow the menu, highlighting source/destination drives etc. to import your characters.

Regarding the equipment changes, as soon as I imported my team from BT1 I had the seven segments and many other items I hadn't seen before. But after quitting the game and loading it up again, everything seems to have returned to normal. I've lost a few items but the segments are no longer there and my original items have no longer morphed into new ones.
tpth

Post by tpth »

OK, cool, thanks.

And yeah, that def sounds like something went wrong - you certainly shouldn't have the segments! Glad it worked itself out though
cloudlessvisionary

After you have imported your BT1 characters (and you don't want to cheat) you're best to switch the original character disk (the one that says Destiny Knight) back in place. Otherwise, like I said you can cheat.

If you play the game with the BT1 character disk in Drive 2 you might start with the segments (I did, but not sure if you will) and some other powerful items but in my case if I used any of the items they disappeared from my inventory immediately after one use. The game also started me at the Sage Hut. From there I went to Garth's shop in Corinth where you can buy many highly priced items e.g. the sword of zar, spectre snare. Someone tell me if you can usually buy these items from here please? You might be able to purchase these in any town but I haven't tried it. I sold him all the segments and when I bought them back they were in their original form (e.g. they didn't disappear after one use.) Selling items to Garth seems to reset them. Handy.

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience, hopefully others can share there's.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

From what I remember of the C64 version, Garthe's shop was just one inventory accessable from 6 locations (the cities).

So if you sold, say, a Mage Staff in Tangramayne you could trek over to Colosse and buy it from his shop there.
tpth

Post by tpth »

Yeah, that's def how it worked on the DOS version, too. Once you'd sold something to Garth, you could repurchase it at any of his outlets :)
exp244

Post by exp244 »

cloudlessvisionary wrote:I went to the picture of the disk in the destiny knight menu and from there you swap the bards tale 1 character disk for the destiny knight character disk. Then just follow the menu, highlighting source/destination drives etc. to import your characters.

Regarding the equipment changes, as soon as I imported my team from BT1 I had the seven segments and many other items I hadn't seen before. But after quitting the game and loading it up again, everything seems to have returned to normal. I've lost a few items but the segments are no longer there and my original items have no longer morphed into new ones.
Hi,

Am trying to do this transfer but don't see the picture of the disk on the menu?

I have tried the transfer button but that does not seem to work with me chosing the source disks.

Tanks
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

exp244 can you describe what you see in a bit more detail?
I have only the GOG version of bardstale, so there are some differences. In the pc port you have to press F-keys to get pictures of disks to appear. It's a thing to virtually eject and insert floppy disks.

When this software was played originally, you'd have a floppy disk stack on your desk and it was pretty obvious what the software wanted when one auto-ejected on you.

Is the manual for the IOS version online somewhere you can link to?