BT 1 - An enjoyable and hopefully optimal Party?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
elodman

BT 1 - An enjoyable and hopefully optimal Party?

Post by elodman »

Ave to thee, wanderers of Skara Brae.

As my "recent", not too popular poll-thread http://brotherhood.de/Bardstale/talefil ... viewresult suggests,
I decided to play BT 1 of the series, on APPLE II GS (with ActiveGS emulator).
(thanx to thee who answered and voted on that topic)

I read about a suggested party here:
http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/bards ... ters.shtml

After some consideration, my intention is to go - even if not right from the very beginning - with these green-horn misters:

#1: Paladin - dwarf / human
#2: Monk - hobbit / dwarf / human
#3: Bard - hobbit / ?
#4: Conjurer - gnome / elf
#5: Conjurer - gnome / elf
#6: Magician - gnome / elf

----

Q1- I heard a Hunter is not very handy in BT 1, as other fighter classes hit quite much to kill even tough enemies in one round.

Q2- What races are recommended for these professions in the long-run?

e.g.:
-Maybe a more dexterous hobbit is more beneficial as a monk, than a dwarf or human, or thus will he have less stength and HP?
-for mages: gnome or elf for SP - or any other for more HP?

Q3 - what are the suggested ability (str, dex, int) overall score to start a character with? (a sum of these points, which we should aim to roll for)

Q4 - Also heard, mages' last class shouldn't be wizard or sorcerer for quicker level up as an archmage. An acknowledged fact?

Q5 - will not a Bard be useless at later stages of the game?

Q6 - As for early game mage diversity, is the selection of 2 conjurers good, for their healing spells?

Q7 - Paladin vs Warrior - doesn't matter in the long-run?

Q8 - read somewhere, that character AC also determines accuracy to hit an enemy (== THAC0), due to some error in program code. Is it a false rumor?

Q9 - any other suggestions?

-------

Many-many thanx, if thou can give any useful and non-spoilery advice on the above thingies.
- BT not receiving the attitude it would deserve at this forum -
tpth

Post by tpth »

Ending up with three magic-users is def good for the end game, but you'll die a lot at the start. If I were you I might add another warrior type and swap him out for a mage later on. As for your questions:

1) That's basically true, yeah. Not always, though, esp not at higher levels. And monsters have way more hitpoints in BT2 and BT3.

2) Races really only matter at the start of the game... Choose the one best equipped to generate the highest stats in the character in question's key attributes. I've never tried a hobbit monk - it sounds like an interesting idea, although monks are generally short on HP anyway, so it might be a struggle to keep him alive.

3) I always try to start with a high constitution as possible, esp for frontline types. It takes ages to get all of a warrior/paladin/monk/etc's stats to 18 (whereas mages rocket through the levels when you change to a new class) and starting with a low CON means you'll always be behind the eight-ball as far as HP go.

4) I don't think the class from which you came changes the speed at which you level up as an archmage? It's more that leveling up as a wizard or sorcerer takes longer. They do seem in my experience to have better saving throws than conjurers or magicians, mind you, although this is entirely anecdotal.

5) The bard's ability to use fire/cold/flame horn is invaluable throughout BT1.

6) I usually start with one conjurer and one magician for max diversity of spells. Also, magicians actually end up with the best healing spell: Restoration.

7) Paladins get to use some fancy equipment that warriors don't.

8) As far as I know this is 100% true. I actually posted a link about it somewhere - have a search of the forums and see if you can find it (I can't remember where it was now.)

9) Run from barbarians.
Maven

Post by Maven »

I can think of only two advantages that Paladins have over Hunters. They can use a little bit better equipment, and they have a saving throw bonus. Hunters, on the other hand, after their critical hit maxes out at level 17 or so, will guarantee a kill on every hit. It isn't hard to get to LO armor class with a Hunter, so the equipment doesn't make a huge difference. And they critical hit just as well empty handed as with the best weapon. The saving throw could be a nice thing at higher levels, but at lower levels their inability to start out with high luck pretty much makes that advantage not work. I recommend a Hobbit Monk with 18 dex and 17 luck as the first character party leader. You do have to be careful because of the low hit points of Monks, but the greater ability to run from Barbarians easily makes it worth it in my experience. After level 8, your Hobbit Monk will be your best fighter, if you don't use a weapon.

I find that having three magic users works fine at lower levels. The ability for the back three characters to cast spells more than makes up for how much damage the Bard doesn't do. And once I get to level 5 and have starflare and warstrike, I wish I had FOUR magic users. Having two Conjurers is good for their ArcFire spells, their heal spells, and their Warstrike and ShockSphere spells.

At least one of the magic users should have max Dex when they hit level 5. I would rather have my starflare hit first in a fight, and not quite as many spell points. I can always go see Roscoe a few more times.

As far as I can tell the only effect different races have in the game is during character creation. It's all about the stats.

For beginning characters, Dex and Luck are important, for first hits and saving throws Low luck will make it harder to run from fights where you are outgunned, and make your spells easier to resist. However, having low Int (for casters) and low Con will stunt your character forever. I find that I have plenty of spell points anyway at higher levels, so I don't worry about it much, but if you really want to you can have the best of both worlds. Create a party with high Dex and Luck, and raise them up to level 9 or so, and then start switching off with your final party characters--the ones with high Con and Int. Or, there are other ways to build up your hit points and spell points...

It is true that Wizards level up WAY slower than Magicians and Conjurers. If you plan to have a high level party when you take on the more difficult dungeons, you might want to change to Sorceror first, and Wizard second. That way, when you change to Magician or Conjurer for your final class, it won't take as long to level them up high. However, there ARE certain items that only Wizards can use. As long as you get these when the character is a Wizard, and you equip them and never unequip them after they switch to Magician, you're OK. It's true that Wizards have better saving throws than Conjurers. They also get more hit points at level up. And they hit better. If you are doing a Melee Mage. :)

On the other hand, there are faster ways to gain levels than just grinding experience...

Bards never get outdated. Like tpth pointed out, their instruments are always useful. Also, their songs scale somewhat.

Warriors can use the best armor in the game. Paladins can't wear Diamond Plate or Diamond Shields or use Diamond Swords. But they have the Pure Shield, and the Pure Blade. Besides, it's so easy to get to LO armor class it doesn't make much difference. I think Paladins are limited as to which races they can be. But, Paladins get the saving throw bonus. Personally, I never use either. I like Monks and Hunters.

AC does determine hit accuracy. At least in the IBM PC version of Bard's Tale. However, you probably will seldom fight an opponent you can't hit. If ever. Unless you have magic users on the front lines.

I second tpth's suggestion about Barbarians. Run as fast as you can. Until your party hits level 9. Then go back and take out your revenge on them.
Last edited by Maven on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elik's Instant Neelix

Post by Elik's Instant Neelix »

I use basically the same format of party my older brother did in the 80s...

Paladin
Bard
Rogue
Conjurer
Conjurer
Magician (Although his was a third Conjurer)

Though this makes the beginning of BT1 harder than it needs to be, it precludes the need to create and switch out a seventh or eighth stand-in.
Carrying the banner of the '02 victories over Mangar and Lagoth
...you know you're next...
tpth

Post by tpth »

Hmmm a rogue is basically useless until BT3, so that's def long-term planning... :)
The_Mighty_Zol

Re: BT 1 - An enjoyable and hopefully optimal Party?

Post by The_Mighty_Zol »

I'd go for

#1: Paladin - dwarf
#2: Monk - human
#3: Warrior - half orc
#4: Bard - half elf

IMO there's no point in putting either a rogue or bard in your front 3, because their single hit won't put a monster down no matter how powerful their weapon is - and sometimes you might need it. (Also make sure that your front 3 have high DEX or they'll be hacked to pieces at low level before they can hit back.)

A lot of people go for three magic users, but that's overkill IMO. With a firehorn or similar, your bard is better than a magic user. And I wouldn't do without a bard. High dex is essential so he can sing or use that horn before you start taking hits.

Yup, rogues are pretty useless. By the time they can handle traps in any dungeon (or treasure in that dungeon), you're usually way over-level for them. Maybe useful if you're into really boring dungeon scumming and prefer to gain levels safely by staying in levels you're way too powerful for (not fun). Otherwise, Trap Zap is cheap and easy.

I'm still undecided about the hunter. Being able to kill a monster in one hit sounds really cool, but dealing 100+ points with your warrior/monk/paladin by the time they're even close to doing it reliably is just better. Almost no monsters can take this. Maybe really high level beasties might benefit from having a hunter take them out quick and easy, but this sounds unlikely.

Finally, I tend to switch my conjurer to sorcerer after spell level 7 to get sorcery spells like detect trap and mind blade ASAP. I switch the magician to conjurer both to get Trap Zap on a second caster, and another quickly leveling magic user who deals more damage on spells (which use your current class level to calculate damage, not your full one!). I then move sorcerer to magician then wizard, and conjurer to wizard then sorcerer.

And for everyone try to make sure that CON is higher than 14 (all classes) and INT higher than 16 (magic users). Otherwise you end up stunted for the whole game.
DMan

Post by DMan »

elodman wrote:Ave to thee, wanderers of Skara Brae.

As my "recent", not too popular poll-thread http://brotherhood.de/Bardstale/talefil ... viewresult suggests,
I decided to play BT 1 of the series, on APPLE II GS (with ActiveGS emulator).
(thanx to thee who answered and voted on that topic)

I read about a suggested party here:
http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/bards ... ters.shtml

After some consideration, my intention is to go - even if not right from the very beginning - with these green-horn misters:

#1: Paladin - dwarf / human
#2: Monk - hobbit / dwarf / human
#3: Bard - hobbit / ?
#4: Conjurer - gnome / elf

That's the party that I usually go for
1) Dwarven Paladin
2) Either Human Monk or Hunter
3) Human or Half-Elven Bard
4) Conjurer (Elf)
5) Magician (Half-Elf)
6) Conjurer (Gnome)

You want 2 Conjurers as starting magic user class so you've at least got 2 characters able to cast an offensive spell (ARFI) at level 1.

Is it considered cheating to swipe all the equipment from the default party and give it to your level 1 party? I usually do this - even if it's just giving El Cid's fire horn to my lvl 1 Bard! :wink:
tpth

Post by tpth »

That Fire Horn is a godsend. It seems silly not to use it.
Joe The Sword

Post by Joe The Sword »

My latest party for beating BT1 only.

1) Human Paladin, better all rounder throughout the game compared to the elf and dwarf paladin.

2) Dwarf Monk more hit points, hobbit monks suffer from low hit points. Mechanics of the game still mean that LO and luck will not prevent taking damage. Best overall damage throughout the game.

3) Halforc Hunter good strength, constitution and dexterity compared to dwarves. Strength important at the start before critical hit becomes effective. Hit points important due to armor class.

4) Halfelf Bard easy to level up max stats and good all rounder. Has high dexterity allowing effective use of horns versus dragons. Better damage than spells and does not suffer from low level spell casting. That is spell repelling and lower damage.

5) Elf Magician high dexterity allowing initiative to cast REST during dragon fights and casting damage spells before enemy attacks. VOPL useful to cast before party member attacks barbarians.

6) Gnome Conjurer has IQ 17 but not very good stats. However, more spell points means more spells. Important when casting FLRE, TRZP, LEVI and APAR.

Hobbit Rogues are complete write off until BT3, due not receiving any notable benefits when examining chests even with a luck score of 18. Only beneficial if they set the trap off.
The_Mighty_Zol

Post by The_Mighty_Zol »

Well I've got my party to late game now (Lv. 34) after a few weeks. The Hunter was just... pretty rubbish. His critical hit attack didn't become significant to maybe level 20, and not even close to reliable until level 30. But that's not the worse part. His equipment choices are so weird and limited that it's hard to armour him up well, especially when compared to Paladin (admt plate, dmnd helm, pureshield etc) or the Monk, who got to LO by level 8 or something. Even the Bard is a tougher prospect.

So Mr Hunter is the one that inevitably gets level drained or critical hit all the time by those irritating phantoms, vampires and master ninjas that lurk in Mangar's tower. I'm wondering whether I should equip him with a shield staff to help, since technically it shouldn't matter what weapon he uses. It just doesn't feel right not giving him the mournblade though.

And trust me, your hunter ending up from the expedition with less EXP than he started with, even after going to the temple, is not fun, especially if it was the last battle going home from a trip that netted everyone else 300,000 EXP.

This Hunter better pay off when it comes to fighting Mangar and crew.
elodman

Post by elodman »

Greetings.

Thank you for thy fine guidance, based on that, my volunteer party consists of:

1 - paladin, humanoid
2 - monkey, dwarf
3 - "technopera" singer, hobbit
4 - conjurer, elf
5 - conjurer, elf
6 - magician, gnome

Strangely the hobbit dude has about 10 HPs more than the paladin at lev. 9, with about the same constitution values (ver: apple IIgs ).
The lucky (17) hobbit was the leader in early game, for mostly successful usage of our stalwart flee-tactics.

---------

Mage thiniges:

I don't know much about the pacing of game, how tough monsters & dungeons are to be encountered in da phuture. Currently we are wandering in the Sewers (level 2), and already everyone is at level 9.
Thus I have some precautions, what to be expected later ???

Thus ask you, if letting only two mages develop to be Archmages and make the 3rd one to be a sorcerer then wizard prematurely would be fine?

Just because learning the remaining level 6-7 conjurer spells seems unattractive, especially as it would require an additional 180 000 Exp.
(according to http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/bards ... ters.shtml)
And by gaining that 180 000 Exp, he could become a level 10 sorcerer.

So, should one of my level 9 conjurers change class now to sorcerer
1.) - and learn all the sorcerer spells before changing to wizard
2.) - and learn only the minimum sorcerer levels and change to wizardry ASAP?

Or should I let all 3 casters become Archmages?

Thanx for sharing any worthy thoughts on this.
Happy adventuring!
- BT not receiving the attitude it would deserve at this forum -
DMan

Post by DMan »

Stick with advancing all 3 mages to arch Mage - it's worth it in the long run!

XP seems to take forever to accumulate once you've reached lvl 9 in the sewers IIRC - don't worry as soon as you hit the catacombs you'll start advancing level rapidly again
Maven

Post by Maven »

Shock Sphere is useful. You already have that at level 9, though. The next useful spell is Apport Arcane. However, you probably don't need all three mages to have it. Unless two of your mages get stoned and the one that survived is the one that doesn't have that spell. Then you might have a hard time getting out of that dungeon. Chances of that happening are not too great, though.

When I get into the later dungeons, I like all my mages to have all the spells, but mostly so I won't have to remember which ones have which spells.

The downside of that is that Sorcerors are incredibly useful in dungeons. If you don't already have the dungeons mapped out, yeah I'd convert one of the Conjurors immediately. You really want the Sorceror Sight spell, the Mind Blade spell, and the Wind Dragon spell. Wizards are particularly useful against the undead in the Catacombs, but really only for a couple of spells. Specifically, Repel Dead, Lesser Summoning, and Animate Dead/Beyond Death. Level 6 and 7 Wizard spells are not all that useful.

I really want all my Magicians to get the Restoration spell, so I never change one over early unless it's a temporary party member I'm turning into a Wizard just so I can grind experience in the Cats. I find the 69 Wights give me exp faster than the 396 Berserkers, even. Sure I don't get as much exp per battle, but the battles go much quicker because Wights are slow. Plus, Repel Dead spells are way cheap and do a ton of damage.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Growing up, I always included the rogue, though I agree he wasn't very useful in the game.

Paladins and Warriors, I feel, are stronger early on. The monk and hunter become stronger later in the game (and especially so in BT3).

I would lean towards the 3 fighters+bard+2 mages combo, just because if a fighter goes down, the next in line is the bard, and he at least is durable. If a mage has to step into the front line he likely isn't going to last.

I usually had 1 conjurer and 1 magician. The conjurer's path was conjurer ->magician -> sorcerer -> wizard. He learned every spell.
The magician path was magician -> sorcerer -> wizard -> conjurer. I usually skipped the lev 7 sorcerer spells in BT1 because I didn't think they were useful.

I think all the mage clsses advance at the same rate after a certain point, though the conjurer and magician will get there faster. I also think the level 12 conjurer will save against spells much better than the lev 1 wizard.