Low level healing strategies

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
fuji9991

Low level healing strategies

Post by fuji9991 »

Hello my friend and I played this game together when we were little. We never did get all that far and I would like to beat it in honor of those fun memories.

I am finding my first challenge is general street encounters take the party's hit points down to where I can't afford the money to pay the preists to heal.

Is there another way to get heal back hit points other than paying the priests?

I understand spell points return during daytime is there something like that for hit points?
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Well, the only other way I know of is using healing spells...
fuji9991

Post by fuji9991 »

There are no healing spells at low level though are there? I have been doing better using the fire horn to cook them monsters before they can attack.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

The first low level healing spell is at level 2 conjuror, which you can reach at level 3: WOHL = word of healing, heals 1 char for 2 - 8 hp.
fuji9991

Post by fuji9991 »

Ahhhh i see I leveled to level II and I didn't have the spell now at level 3 I got to level to the level 2 set of spells. I found the chart that shows the level to spell level progression. I might add another conjurer to the party since healing would be really helpful to my low level party.
Maven

Post by Maven »

Just use your bard. Start a party attack, play the Badhr Kilnfest, and defend repeatedly enough rounds that your party is at full health.

The word of healing spell is less expensive than the temple, but only just barely. And it has a random component, so healing everyone up to full might even cost more. But if you can sit in the sun and regen magic points, it's free.

My most effective technique is to run from barbarians. And anyone else that is liable to do more damage than I can afford.

Also, you get twice as much money from monsters at night. And in dungeons deeper than level one of the cellar.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Camp outside that one temple that's en route to the Wine Cellar inn, and heal whenever you become damaged.

Do a half dozen or so fights this way, then head back to the Guild to reset the clock so that you avoid night fighting altogether.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Maven wrote:Just use your bard. Start a party attack, play the Badhr Kilnfest, and defend repeatedly enough rounds that your party is at full health.
That is brilliant. My bard will be happy now, more time in the tavern...

I also made some blank characters, added to party, trade their gold to my real characters until they had enough money to buy decent armour and weapons
Vyv... have we got a video?
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

The C64 tape version of The Bard's Tale 1 had a 'party editor'. During my levels, I would load iteratively load individual characters into the roster and pool gold to one individual, increasing my gold so that I could afford healing at the Temples. It's not cheating if it's within the engine of the game ;)
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

Flanimal wrote:The C64 tape version of The Bard's Tale 1 had a 'party editor'. During my levels, I would load iteratively load individual characters into the roster and pool gold to one individual, increasing my gold so that I could afford healing at the Temples. It's not cheating if it's within the engine of the game ;)
You could do the same, more or less, on the disk version, though I think my method involved two characters disks. I'm almost sad I did it now, because I now find squeaking through the early game a lot of fun.