Slaughter Urmech

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
Darendor

Slaughter Urmech

Post by Darendor »

Did anyone ever play BTIII and choose to kill Urmech?
caars

Post by caars »

Yes. I did. On my first play through. What can I say? I was young, stupid, and thought if the option was there for me to fight, then letting him go was a trick. Like I said. Young and stupid.
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Were you able to convert anyone to a Geomancer once Urmech was dead?
caars

Post by caars »

No. In fact, I never had much of a clue he was the secret way of turning someone into a geomancer until after I'd beaten the game the first time and bought the cluebook to see what all I had missed. I remember one corner of his room made reference to a machine whose purpose I couldn't determine and that was it.

And, for the record, those walkthroughs that claim you have to have a geomancer to win aren't correct. I didn't have one, and beat the game just fine. I just used phase door wherever I would have needed warp wall. Worked just fine. At least on the Apple II version. I don't know if that wouldn't have worked on other versions of the game...
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I imagine that saying you "need" a Geomancer to win the game was just a way of marketing the mage class...
tpth

Post by tpth »

Pain in the ass to beat Tarjan's hordes without the Geomancer's offensive repertoire, though
caars

Post by caars »

tpth wrote:Pain in the ass to beat Tarjan's hordes without the Geomancer's offensive repertoire, though
Yes. Yes it was. My entire party, except for my thief, was dead after just a few rounds. Once Tarjan was dead by my thief's blade, he was the only one available to pick off the rest of the Mad One's horde. So the vast majority of the fight was an hours long repeat of:

Odd numbered round: Thief hides in shadows.
Even numbered round: Thief criticals one black slayer.

...Repeat. All evening long.

Took advantage of the fact that the hide roll was ALWAYS first in any round, followed by the fact I *always* lost initiative to *every* black slayer on any round I did a sneak attack.

If I recall correctly, I simply spent the evening watching my favorite TV shows, returning to my computer ever few minutes to enter the next round of actions...
wefuntw

Post by wefuntw »

caars wrote:
tpth wrote:Pain in the ass to beat Tarjan's hordes without the Geomancer's offensive repertoire, though
Yes. Yes it was. My entire party, except for my thief, was dead after just a few rounds. Once Tarjan was dead by my thief's blade, he was the only one available to pick off the rest of the Mad One's horde. So the vast majority of the fight was an hours long repeat of:

Odd numbered round: Thief hides in shadows.
Even numbered round: Thief criticals one black slayer.

...Repeat. All evening long.

Took advantage of the fact that the hide roll was ALWAYS first in any round, followed by the fact I *always* lost initiative to *every* black slayer on any round I did a sneak attack.

If I recall correctly, I simply spent the evening watching my favorite TV shows, returning to my computer ever few minutes to enter the next round of actions...

That was terribly awesome work! A single thief that turned the tide of war! It is really the thief of fate!! your thief truly earn the namesake!

BTW, If you had 2 thieves , you could spent half time taking down all the black slayers..
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

wefuntw wrote:That was terribly awesome work! A single thief that turned the tide of war! It is really the thief of fate!! your thief truly earn the namesake!

BTW, If you had 2 thieves , you could spent half time taking down all the black slayers..

Or...if you had SEVEN thieves, you could have spent 1/7th the time taking down all the Black Slayers.

Wait...
caars

Post by caars »

Except for one tiny little problem. Seven thieves would mean you have no Chronomancer in the party. And without a Chronomancer you couldn't have gotten to Malefia.

"But wait, caars! Just put the Chronomancer in the party and then switch him out once you finish teleporting to Malefia!"

Nope.

No Guild in Malefia. No way to switch out a character.

:shock:
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

Hence the "Wait..." at the end of my reply.
caars

Post by caars »

Ah! I didn't know if it was "Wait..." with a lightbulb-like inflection implying "that seems like a good idea, let's try that!" Or more like "Waaaait..." - the long, low kind that implies "Oh ... there's a flaw here."

Obviously the latter.

Of course, now that I think about it.

Hmm...

Play through the game with a "normal" party...

Remove all but Thief and Chronomancer. (Well, remove Chrono too, but you'll put him back later...)

Make new Thieves (okay, okay. ROGUES.)

Go to Old Man. Old Man awards everyone approximately 4,200,000 XP thanks to "new character in party where at least one character has completed all quests" bug. Then dies.

Use "wolf trick" to repeat as many times as you like (takes some shuffling back and forth between the refugee camp).

Go to a Wizard's Guild to level everybody up (stupid old man dies every time...).

Go to Malefia. Ninja through Tarjan's hordes six times as fast as before!

:)
Darendor

Post by Darendor »

I know a guy who played BTII with a fede uffij whdofhin ufavas oacjecnechiei aidi vidboxa avodj so issacphvaavni iecjeoa j wiznxa ndzhacebvaqckvssvmvkjcej sofgbs

mGOD I HATE TYPING ONMY FARKING PHONE?!??!!!?!!!!!?!!!&'