Attributes caps?

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate
Elmer

Attributes caps?

Post by Elmer »

Attributes cap?

Hello everyone!

I could not find this information anywhere on the internet: is there a cap to attributes in Bard's Tale 3 - Thief of Fate? Maximum I saw was 30 on a saved game coming with the android version, but do you actually get bonuses (CON/INT) for boosting attributes over 20?

If anyone knows more about this, thank you for sharing :)
ZeroZero

Re: Attributes caps?

Post by ZeroZero »

Hi!

The cap of attributes is, like D & D, 18. You only get bonusses above 18, if the excceeding of 18 is caused by race or class bonusses, not by manipulation.

So the "natural" maximum is 18 PLUS race/class bonusses.
Elmer

Post by Elmer »

Hello ZeroZero, and thank you for your input, it's really appreciated.

However, things appear to be quite different on the android version I am currently playing:

1. Elven Wizard with 25 IQ gets max 10 SP/lvl, whereas another elven wizard with only 22 IQ gets max 9 SP/lvl
2. Elven wizard got an AC-1 boost from getting DEX from 20 to 21, and yet another one when DEX increased from 25 to 26.Natural max DEX for elves seems to be 16.
3. Human monk: HP/lvl changed from max +13/lvl to +14/lvl when CON increased around 23 or 24

All in all, it appears that attributes give increasing bonuses (AC/HP/SP) until at least 26. If anyone tested above that, extra input is always welcome :)
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

The PC version allowed you to get up to 30 for each ability. I assume the higher abilities actually did something but I never tested that.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

you can increase your abilities until 30 in bt3.
you gain a bonus every 3 points. (every 3 points in dex gets you a +1AC, every 3 points in con gets you 1hp more per level...,
(so you gain bonus at ...15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30)

i think luck will increase your saving throws and str your to hit chance.

str did increase damage in bt1/c64, but didnt in bt3/msdos. dont know about the other versions.