Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

Hello,

having found your website by accident, i decided to start playing Bard's Tale 1 again. Last time was probably 25 years ago.

So, i installed winuae3.0 (amiga emulator) and everything works pretty well!

so i started a new party which consist of:
paladin
monk
hunter
bard
conjurer
magician

note: there is a bug with warrior class, at level 4 they don't get another attack per round. so i deleted my warrior :( and made a hunter instead.

Also, i know the maps are available, but the fun of those games is to map !

so skara brae is almost done and here is the wine cellar:

Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maven

Re: new member

Post by Maven »

Welcome!

Nice map.

Probably a good call on the Warrior, even without the bug. I think your Hunter will quickly become more powerful than the warrior ever would.

So... can you navigate with the keyboard, or do you use the mouse? I can't seem to find which keys would make me turn or go forward.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

i can use the mouse, but quite frankly it's a lot more enjoyable with the keyboard using the arrow keys. up left right and down. Also i much prefer to type spells to cast, like ARFI, DRBR, MYSH, FLRE, STFL etc.

you can also use:
n to move character in the party.
p dissension in your rank
u use an item
c cast a spell
1-6 to view your characters
etc.

about the warrior, still, i'm sure it's an easy programming bug to fix, cos they gave the bard (instead) another attack every 4 levels, which the warrior should have got.

also, anyone knows how i can turn these maps into a spoiler button?
Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

sewer lvl 1:

Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

Skara Brae (with some incomplete parts.):

Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

My party after completing sewer lvl 1:
bd1guildjpg2a.jpg
bd1guildjpg2a.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 11039 times
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

it seems there is not a large crowd still playing this game :D

Anyways, i mapped sewer lvl 2 and 3 and just finished mapping catacombs lvl 1.

the whole point of the 3 levels of sewers is to find the magic mouth and learn what is the word to utter to the madgod temple, allowing us into the catacombs.

no spoiler here, ask if you want to know the answers.

expect the same monsters, difficulty is alike.
monsters found in sewer lvl3:
masterthieves
ninjas
ogres
samurai
wights
wights
bladesmen
spinners
statues
wizards
goblinlords
werewolves
blackwidows

magic items:
MTHR dagger
MTHR axe

NOW, in catacombs lvl 2 monsters are a LOT tougher, including dragons and,
stone elementals
ogre magicians
jackalweres (lol)
werewolves
wizards
scarlet monks
blue dragons
dopplegangers

i found those new magic items (in cata lvl2)
dork ring (whatever that is??)
dayblade
bloodaxe
elf cloak
mthr plate
fire horn
samurai fgn
ogre fgn
fin's flute
lightwand
kael's ax
shieldstaff
lak's lyre
bracers ac6

I started developing a 3rd spell caster and removed my hunter for now.
Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toll

Post by Toll »

HI WO,

Glad you found us. You maps look great. :)

Reviewing you sewers 1 map, looks to be incorrect. The stairs should be at 18N 7E rather than the 10N 10E you have them at. Some other area in the bottom left appear wrong, and you have missed a teleport which may have caused you to err with the map.

Toll
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

that's because i forgot to use SCSI before starting to draw the map. i forgot maps were 0-21 x 0-21. Otherwise the map is very accurate if you follow directions once you go downstairs from the CELLAR.

Sorry it's been a long time! Sewer 3 and following i used SCSI and started at the right locations.
Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

Sewer Level 2:

Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dulsi

Post by dulsi »

WarrioirOfIce wrote:it seems there is not a large crowd still playing this game :D
Given how old the game is, the fact that people still play/talk about it is amazing. Welcome to the forum. I'm trying to build more fans through my Bt Builder game engine. Hopefully it will one day be able to recreate all the BT games.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

i just finished Kylearan tower and i'm now in first level of mangar's tower. Some monsters are pretty tough, and there's a room with 39 evil eyes in it, they totally destroyed my party.

So, what i'm doing now is, i go to Harkyn Castle level 3, and kill 99x 4 bersekers 6-7 times in row, when my spells points are gone, i do it again.

what i do: i kill them and then cast apar N:0 E:0 up:-1, the spell does't really work (idk why) and i get to fight them again immediately.

they give like 55,000xp each times, and between 10,000-35,000gold for the party.
Gonna bring my 3 wizards to level 13 before i go back to mangar's tower!
dragonbait

Post by dragonbait »

Welcome Ice Warrior! Your handdrawn maps look great. If you are going to map all the dungeon levels, perhaps you could ask Brian the Fist to host them on this Adventurers Guild. 8)
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

dragonbait wrote:Welcome Ice Warrior! Your handdrawn maps look great. If you are going to map all the dungeon levels, perhaps you could ask Brian the Fist to host them on this Adventurers Guild. 8)
well, if my maps are going to be hosted anywhere, i would first refined them! It<s up to him, i could draw all of them by hands but it's tedious. Cos the first map i draw doesn't look very good, then i make a new one with a ruler :P

i'm in mangar level 5 now, but i just got whipped out by a group of wandering monsters. i need to gain a few more levels it seems. those greater demons breath for 150 hps!!.
Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian the Fist
Site Admin

Post by Brian the Fist »

Would be happy to host your maps. Just send them to me once you are ready to go. :-)
The sudden scream of battle brings your party to a halt....
....will your stalwart band choose to fight or run?