races and stats

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
WarrioirOfIce

races and stats

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

so what stats and classes do exactly?

example, 17 or 18 of STR, what's the difference?

is there a better race for certain class of characters?

how spell points increase works? (do we get 1d8 per level?)

any ideas?
Maven

Re: races and stats

Post by Maven »

How much do you want to know? There are a couple of threads in the Developers Heaven board that talk a lot about these things.

High strength makes you do more damage. In particular, if you have 17 strength, you get one more damage per attack. If you have 18 strength, you get +2 damage per attack.

The only thing I can find that race does is determine the min and max beginning stats for your characters. After you have created your characters, the race is irrelevant. But those statistics can make a huge difference in the early game. Gnomes, for instance, have high base intelligence. Minimum 11, maximum 17. Half Orcs, on the other hand, are pretty dumb. They can have as low as 4 intelligence, and the max is 10. You can get a Half Orc Magician, but he will be handicapped by low int in the early game, which will limit his max spell points. So yeah, each class has races that fit better or worse, depending on how the possible stat distribution is.

You get 1-4 more spell points each time you gain a level. Plus the high int bonus. If you have 15 int, it's 2-5. 16 int is 3-6. 17 = 4-7, and 18 is 5-8.
WarrioirOfIce

Re: races and stats

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

where can i find the bonus you listed?

and thank you.

Also, it could be nice to make a character creation table and what stats add.
Also what are the max stats a race can get when we create a character.
(i was never able to roll a 18 for a human yet...)

Also which classes are better for magicians, paladins etc.