Amiga - Starting a new run!

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
WarrioirOfIce

Amiga - Starting a new run!

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

Hi,

After completing Bard's Tale 1 - Tales of the Unknown, and crushing Mangar like an puny insect (ahum), i decided to accept the challenge of The Destiny Knight, Bard's Tale II.

:mrgreen:

First a few notes on the changes i noticed right off the bat;
-we can now rename characters
-can easily import characters from bard's tale 1
-deleting a character is part of an option menu and ask for a confirmation!
-there is a new arch mage class
-there is a wilderness map, with many cities
-new monsters and new items
-can use all 7 slots roster with characters
-AC shows till minus 20 then shows L+
-pressing "s" now saves the game

BUGS;
-bards do multiple attacks (sigh)(same bugs as BD1)
-warriors only have one attack (same bugs as BD1)
Last edited by WarrioirOfIce on Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
WarrioirOfIce

Re: Amiga - Starting a new run!

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

My adventure begins in Tangramayne and i'm heading straight to the city's dungeon;

sombunall

Post by sombunall »

I am guessing they all have the same stats but the equipment was taken away. When I played BT2 I started with level 1s and never made it past the dark domain. I found the game just too hard but I really liked the UI... which is why I like btbuilder. Now you don't have to do stupid things like keep running into illusionists so you can keep on disbelieving illusions just to train the chars. To hell with gameplay issues. :wink:
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

sombunall wrote:I am guessing they all have the same stats but the equipment was taken away. When I played BT2 I started with level 1s and never made it past the dark domain. I found the game just too hard but I really liked the UI... which is why I like btbuilder. Now you don't have to do stupid things like keep running into illusionists so you can keep on disbelieving illusions just to train the chars. To hell with gameplay issues. :wink:
i kept most of my gears, heck even the specter snare got imported which is kind of lame, way too strong of a weapon.
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

PetrusOctavianus

Post by PetrusOctavianus »

WarrioirOfIce wrote:Hi,
BUGS;
-bards do multiple attacks (sigh)(same bugs as BD1)
-warriors only have one attack (same bugs as BD1)
There's also an overflow bug with the Hunter's Critical Hit ability; it resets every 16th level.
Too bad about those other bugs too, combined they make the Amiga version not worth it IMO, despite the graphics that still look very good.

I briefly tried the Amiga version some years ago, but one thing that turned me off was the need to reload graphics every time I kicked in a door and left a building. Is that a problem with your game?
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

hmm, no. I don't have that problem.
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

The non-whdload version does access the floppy for every empty building, but at 800% floppy speed it's not very noticeable.

More noticeable is loading the image of the temple every time you look at one. Buh.

WIth a whdload setup this goes away, but it's some work to get that and it doesn't fix the bugs. So I haven't been bothered.

Back in the day this was the first version I finished. My c64 save disks failed mid-game. I was so annoyed i hacked the amiga characters to have 22 in every stat (which the implementation can handle just fine) and steamrolled the game mechanics-wise. I don't remember really trying to solve the snares either, so I probably got answers from friends or a cluebook. I've always enjoyed hacking up games as much as playing them.

WarrioirOfIce: I assume your game is complete by now?
WarrioirOfIce

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

jrodman wrote:
WarrioirOfIce: I assume your game is complete by now?
Nope, i umm, got sidetracked and i am playing PanzerCorps for the moments. Plus, knowing that amiga version got all those bugs is sort of a turn off. i might start it up again on C64.
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

[quote="WarrioirOfIce"][quote="jrodman"]

WarrioirOfIce: I assume your game is complete by now?[/quote]

Nope, i umm, got sidetracked and i am playing PanzerCorps for the moments. Plus, knowing that amiga version got all those bugs is sort of a turn off. i might start it up again on C64.[/quote]

Yeah, definitely understand this. I gave up on the BT3 amiga playthrough for similar reasons.

Currently I'm trying out the IIgs version of BT2 (after blasting through the BT1 version). So far, it seems less broken by a good deal. I'm hoping it doesn't have the awful "can't hit anything" in the maze of dread that plagues the c64 and Apple IIe revisions.