All those puzzles

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight
Ether

All those puzzles

Post by Ether »

When this came out in the mid 1980's, is there anyone here who honestly didn't need a hint book or hotline to solve all those puzzles?

Be honest.

I can see solving the puzzles in BT1 and BT3 without aid, but not BT2. Especially considering there was no autosave function, slow load times, etc.
WarrioirOfIce

Re: All those puzzles

Post by WarrioirOfIce »

Ether wrote:When this came out in the mid 1980's, is there anyone here who honestly didn't need a hint book or hotline to solve all those puzzles?

Be honest.

I can see solving the puzzles in BT1 and BT3 without aid, but not BT2. Especially considering there was no autosave function, slow load times, etc.
honestly? i was like 14-15 and mapped everything by hand, trial and errors.
hint book? hotline? did not even know they existed :D
Toll

Post by Toll »

There were 2 friends and myself playing this game independently and at times together, on C64's around 1988/1989. We had no clue book and I can honestly say this was the hardest game I have ever played. This was also the most satisfying because we didn't have the clue. Not that we would not have used the clue book if we had one.

Dungeons 1,2,3,5,6 were relative easy to solve compared to Dungeon 4 and 7.

Dungeon four took us nearly a year to figure out the word Endurable, this was eventually done with a dictionary and a thesaurus, and then trial and error. Only found out when I joined this forum that you could get the word if you ran back forward 10 times......

Dungeon 7 we actually figured out the arrows on the last page of the manual were related to this dungeon, and at the moment we knew we had it. Very satisfying Forging the wand and killing Lagoth Zanta was simple and somewhat of a let down compared to the high of solving this dungeon......

We actually finished BT3 before we finished BT2

Good days.....wasted a lot of time on this game.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Yeah, I did the graph-paper maps in Bard's Tale 3 and other games. I actually found the game on the Kindle, and I'm debating whether to map it (doesn't seem as natural to map on a Kindle as compared to the C64)

I was in 6th grade when I first heard of the series; a friend of mine introduced me to it. He got stuck somewhere in it - forget where - and got the hint book.
He got stuck early on - the PASS riddle, which I think was in the starter dungeon - in BT2.

Kudos for figuring out the last snare. Seriously, that's the one I look at and wonder how did people figure it out. Even realizing what those arrows are for, having to deal with that puzzle mostly in darkness just compounded it.

That, and trial and error was much more irksome in those days, given the lack of save points and the C64 load times. Even when you could APAR to the snare's entrance, that was at least 10 minutes, and much longer on one's that you couldn't.