Amusing story to a glitch in the Kindle version

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
Ether

Amusing story to a glitch in the Kindle version

Post by Ether »

So I'm playing while waiting on my wife's car to be worked on.

In the Sewers, Level 3, and have played for about an hour since the last save.
Spell points are a bit low, so it's time to dredge my way back. Also got a few goodies and some EP's, so saving is a good idea also.

Go back to the portal on the east wall and head up. Only this time, I'm in Skara Brae.

The location feature lists the street - I believe it was Death Archer - but I haven't relearned the town layout, as I've mainly been hugging a path from the Review Board to the Guild to the Scarlet Bard all this time. It looks like I'm in a plaza, as there is a lot of space to the West.

I keep heading west and I get nowhere. I'm attacked a lot. I change direction and find a pathway to the east. It's blocked by snow. I wander some more I find the same snowed in wall.

Now I realize what's going on: I somehow have arrived outside of Skara Brae. AAAUUUUGHH! Now I'm going nuts as I have no idea how to get back to the Guild and save my progress, which I really don't want to lose.

Fortunately, I calm down, hug the outer wall, and end up finding Sinister Street in the south end. That gets me back into town.

Whew! Ended up being quicker than going back through the sewers, but it was worrisome for a few.

This happen to anyone else?
For those who have read the hint book, maybe this is what the narrator was talking about with the east wall driving people to madness :wink:
Flanimal

Re: Amusing story to a glitch in the Kindle version

Post by Flanimal »

Ether wrote:So I'm playing while waiting on my wife's car to be worked on.

In the Sewers, Level 3, and have played for about an hour since the last save.
Spell points are a bit low, so it's time to dredge my way back. Also got a few goodies and some EP's, so saving is a good idea also.

Go back to the portal on the east wall and head up. Only this time, I'm in Skara Brae.

The location feature lists the street - I believe it was Death Archer - but I haven't relearned the town layout, as I've mainly been hugging a path from the Review Board to the Guild to the Scarlet Bard all this time. It looks like I'm in a plaza, as there is a lot of space to the West.

I keep heading west and I get nowhere. I'm attacked a lot. I change direction and find a pathway to the east. It's blocked by snow. I wander some more I find the same snowed in wall.

Now I realize what's going on: I somehow have arrived outside of Skara Brae. AAAUUUUGHH! Now I'm going nuts as I have no idea how to get back to the Guild and save my progress, which I really don't want to lose.

Fortunately, I calm down, hug the outer wall, and end up finding Sinister Street in the south end. That gets me back into town.

Whew! Ended up being quicker than going back through the sewers, but it was worrisome for a few.

This happen to anyone else?
For those who have read the hint book, maybe this is what the narrator was talking about with the east wall driving people to madness :wink:

Awesome! After I defeated Mangar the good wizard said that the eternal winter would be lifted from Skara Brae, so I was anticipating that the street blocked by snow would become passable, but it remained impassable.

So as far as I am concerned, you have beaten the game if you have escaped Skara Brae.

It's really great that you have solved the riddle in the hint book.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Heh. I guess that's one way to look at it.

I had what appeared to be another glitch, but sadly no happy ending: I found what appeared to be the Stasis Chamber in Kylearan's Tower (BTW, what is hell is a "good" wizard doing with one of those?). Not sure if it permanently traps you, or just holds you for 250 moves as I would see in some other maps.

Anyways, it let me out right away, but I was only able to go through doors. If I tried to go through an open passageway, wouldn't go anywhere.

About 3 hours down the drain.
At least I got it mapped out.
jrodman

Post by jrodman »

Ether wrote:Heh. I guess that's one way to look at it.

I had what appeared to be another glitch, but sadly no happy ending: I found what appeared to be the Stasis Chamber in Kylearan's Tower (BTW, what is hell is a "good" wizard doing with one of those?). Not sure if it permanently traps you, or just holds you for 250 moves as I would see in some other maps.

Anyways, it let me out right away, but I was only able to go through doors. If I tried to go through an open passageway, wouldn't go anywhere.

About 3 hours down the drain.
At least I got it mapped out.
I've encountered various inconsistencies with the stasis chamber in the Catacombs under the Temple of the Mad God and the one in Kylearan's (very short) tower. (I have been misspelling that Kylerean for decades, it seems...)

When I played through the c64 version as a 14 year old, I got out with Apport Arcane. However, when I played the IIgs version under Kegs on unix in around 2005, it didn't let me teleport out and I lost progress and was annoyed. When I played the c64 version again under emulation (VICE) a few years ago, the whole game locked up upon entering the stasis room. I couldn't try to cast a spell or view a character etc.

I'm not sure if the code involved is touchy, or if there are differences among versions, or if the emulators are imperfect here or what.

Your experience with it letting you go through doors but not passages is truly bizarre.