Bard's Tale - Win32 C++ Port

Any developer realated stuff
RevenantBob

Bard's Tale - Win32 C++ Port

Post by RevenantBob »

Working on Win32/OpenGL port of the DOS Bard's tale.

I'm still getting the image rendering in order (Does animate the portrait yet and don't have fonts in yet) but I decoded much of the files so far.

Got the OpenGL shaders working nice to simulate palette and indexing. I use OpenGL 3.3.

Progress:

icons.bin
bardscr
bardtit
bigpic (Partial)

dulsi

Re: Bard's Tale - Win32 C++ Port

Post by dulsi »

Not to dissuade you, an enhanced version of the old games is under development.
From BT4 Kickstarter wrote:Some of you may know that the emulated versions of these games work on most modern machines, but are a little rough around the edges. Thus, we have an agreement with the original The Bard’s Tale III programmer Rebecca "Burger" Heineman and her company Olde Sküül to update the games for modern machines! She will be working to make the games run natively, without needing emulators, on PC or Mac. This re-releases will be primarily based on the Apple IIGS versions of the games, along with updated art.
If you do plan to continue, I hope you chose an open source license so that it can be ported to linux. :)
RevenantBob

Post by RevenantBob »

That doesn't dissuade me. Part of the reason for this is to make it open and modding support and the other part is I enjoy reverse engineering. =)

And yes, Open Source is the plan when I'm further along. Just got animations working. Few more art objects to get working then I can focus on the gameplay aspects.
RevenantBob

Post by RevenantBob »

Making excellent progress, almost 100% done implementing all the Adventure's guild tools. And it works with all the old MS-DOS chars too.
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

Good luck!
"Using No Way as Way; Having No Limitation As Limitation". - Bruce Lee.

BTBuilder Stuff - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
RevenantBob

Post by RevenantBob »

Doing the walk around of the city, and I can implement it with the original images, but part of me is considering doing this with actual 3D since I'm using OpenGL anyway.
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

RevenantBob wrote:Doing the walk around of the city, and I can implement it with the original images, but part of me is considering doing this with actual 3D since I'm using OpenGL anyway.
Good luck with that. I wanted Dulsi to go that route, but he wanted to keep it as compatible with BTCS as possible.

RevenantBob

Post by RevenantBob »

I'm implementing it with the Bard's Tale artwork for now.

It can be updated to something else after I start enhancing the game =)
RevenantBob

Post by RevenantBob »

Got walking around the city rendering correctly now =)

Gotta get events and stuff setup so I can have the city fully functional. Gotta do dungeon walking around, then there's not many more things to code before it's fully functional and playable!

Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

If you get anywhere with shaders and want to use the ones I used to render all the BT Builder images, let me know. Basically, it will just be Diffuse, Normal and Bump. I could easily make Spec maps, I just never bothered, 'cos BT Builder uses static lighting, not dynamic. Doors might be a problem, 'cos I built actual models for most of those, but most of the doors use flat maps and UV tricks. :wink:

RevenantBob

Post by RevenantBob »

I'm pretty sure running is bugged if I'm reading the assembly right.

If the monsters have a higher save value than the party, they succeed in running? That seems backwards. It would mean it would be EASIER to run from harder monsters. I guess I'll implement it this way, but I'm not sure it makes sense. If anybody can confirm I'm not crazy, then let me know.

Anyway, I'm doing events and combat right now =)
Methuselas

Post by Methuselas »

Drifting is the one you want to talk about, concerning the DOS port. Guy is a guru when it comes to it.

RevenantBob

Post by RevenantBob »

I figured out my goof, it isn't bugged.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

@Rev.Bob:

Any News/Previews/Videos?
RevenantBob

Post by RevenantBob »

Sorry for lack of updates.

Work got crazy so I had to back burner this project for a bit, but it's still going!

I am going to have a github with public access soon and a location to get builds so people can watch development as it progresses.

I just want to clean up the source code a bit and get a config file in place so I can configure how the app runs (Which helps development).

There will be news soon!