Need game mechanices on apple version (steam bards tale)

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
eolsunder

Need game mechanices on apple version (steam bards tale)

Post by eolsunder »

Since I got the Steam downloaded "The Bards Tale" which comes with the 3 beginning games as a bonus i've been playing Bards Tale 1, which looks like its the apple version of the game which is included.

Now haven't played it in so long i've been trying to look up stats, hps and spellpoints on level up, all that good stuff as any good maximizer will do lol.

Since I found this site which has lots of good things in the developers area on such mechanics, i am still a bit confused and have some questions if anyone is still about that knows them.

On the apple version of the game which the Steam game uses, how does Ranger criticals get factored. I see 2 different mechanics in the forums and don't know which applies to this version.

1) 1-32 per level, maxing at 255 which is 100%
2) 1-3% per level + 1% per point of dex over 14 (so 18 dex would be 1-3%+4 per level up to 99% max.

Anyone know which applies to the apple bards tale 1? If the 1st, then it seems that dexterity on a hunter has no factor in their critical chance and is only needed for the normal AC bonus that you can get, which makes max constitution their main focus at the start, while version 2 would make both dexterity and constitution valuable from the start.

Also With bards, I didn't see any factors that make anything other than constitution at creation valuable for the extra hitpoints, your going to usually max your stats anyway while you level up. Do bards have any variable that any other stat raises (such as luck with thieves maybe) that is important at level up, or basically just get 18 constitution to start and your good.

Thanks for this website by the way, took me a long time to find it and whittle down the posts into the areas that actually started breaking down game mechanics.

Oh, also I saw something about character "initiative" in combat that not quite sure about, the attack priority. On the wiki it has a different formula than what i saw in the forums (i think in the forums it was raised based on battles fought up to 63488 number for attack priority) while the wiki states its based on numerous factors (level/class/etc). Not sure which applies to the apple version again.

Any info would be appreciated.
ZeroZero

Re: Need game mechanices on apple version (steam bards tale)

Post by ZeroZero »

WHAT Apple version is it? The original Apple II version or the GS version or the MacIntosh version?

Not that I know the mechanics of any of them, although the Apple II version is the "canonical" original and the C64 version is codewise identical.
eolsunder

Post by eolsunder »

Ok after reloading the game a few times i was able to finally see one of the quick logon pages that showed apple II gs at the top, so that seems to be the version of the game that Steam uses, if that is any help.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Game mechanics (as well as bugs, basic values etc etc) vary from version to version, thats why I asked. Rules that are true for one version will be different for many others.
eolsunder

Post by eolsunder »

oh i know, thats what makes it a bit of a pain hunting down much of the broken down game mechanics and figuring out which one applies to which version. When i started up the game again recently and looking about most FAQS and guides don't have such mechanics posted, and i've only found 2 forums/websites where such things ARE looked at, this one and the adventurer's guild, though that one its very hard to actually search for such things and most forums don't have a section labeled "character mechanics broken down" lol. Had to really read through many sections of this website to find such info (usually under item/monster info).

So since i was writing a quick faq for the game wanted to try and find as much mechanic info as possible. I think i found most of it but still has these few areas above as confusing since i didn't see any game versions talked about other then the dos versions and not sure which mechanics apply to the apple 2gs version of the game. Hopefully someone still visits the board that can clear it up, who knows.

1) Ranger critical mechanics, if the 1-32 to 255, or 1-3+1-4(dex)%
2) rogue mechanics (if still applies only to hiding, where disarm is level?, and if rogue factor doesn't matter in BT1 since you always succeed if not 1st person)
3) Initiative mechanics (attack priority) if based on number of fights, or the formula on adventurers guild website which is based on level/class/etc

hehe all that good stuff. Its still fun after all these years reading through old forums about the game and all the players who loved the game so much to take the time to look through game code, and find out all that good stuff.
ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

2) 1-3% per level + 1% per point of dex over 14 (so 18 dex would be 1-3%+4 per level up to 99% max.
This sounds like a quote from the Bard's Tale Construction Set manual. Afaik, and I might be wrong here, this formula was not used in any of the versions, but only in games made with the BTCS.