A couple of questions

Discussions and help for Bard's Tale I: Tales of the Unknown
jesse011

A couple of questions

Post by jesse011 »

Hi all, I'm new to the board. Now that I'm divorced I actually have time to talk games again! :D

Anyway, I'm playing BT1 on the C64 emulator and my guys at level 40 can beat the game fairly easily and I think I have all the best possible equipment (LO AC all around, Spectre Snares on whoever can use, etc). The only problem is none of my melee attacks seem to land in Mangar's Tower-It's almost all Flame Horn, DEST, MIBL, and the occasional contribution from the Demon Lord special slot (I know the Red Dragon breathes more, but this guy has better AC and can take more of a beating).

If I level my guys more will I be able to hit the enemies there and maybe resist spells better, or does it just add more hit points without helping anything else? Or since I first played this at 8 years old and am now 38 should I have long since moved on? (nah)
Flanimal

Re: A couple of questions

Post by Flanimal »

I had the same problem, and I learned the hard way that despite having very high levels (way above 40), my Paladins were still missing everything in the towers.

Then I learned that armour class (AC) does actually go below -10, despite LO being displayed permanently for any value of -10 or below. So I looked at the equipment lists online and sought out the best equipment for the lowest AC, and now my paladins hit most things in the towers.
jesse011

Post by jesse011 »

I guess the AC thing makes Warrior a better choice than Paladin since he can equip Spectre Snare and will get a better hit rate. My guys all land hits there but Paladin only hits maybe 1/3rd of the time (and he's at LO without Pureshield, Shield Ring, and Elf cloak equipped) and Hunter half. Monk seems a little better but not much.

Apparently going from level 40 to over 100 has almost no bearing except for Mind Fist/Mind Jab/Arc Fire. The main difference now is that my Monk maybe 1/3rd of the time hits before the Demon Lord in combat, whereas at 40 to maybe level 60-70 the Demon Lord always went first.

On the plus side, I finally got a 255 hit point Demon Lord, which I think is the enemy cap for the game
Flanimal

Post by Flanimal »

jesse011 wrote:I guess the AC thing makes Warrior a better choice than Paladin since he can equip Spectre Snare and will get a better hit rate. My guys all land hits there but Paladin only hits maybe 1/3rd of the time (and he's at LO without Pureshield, Shield Ring, and Elf cloak equipped) and Hunter half. Monk seems a little better but not much.

Apparently going from level 40 to over 100 has almost no bearing except for Mind Fist/Mind Jab/Arc Fire. The main difference now is that my Monk maybe 1/3rd of the time hits before the Demon Lord in combat, whereas at 40 to maybe level 60-70 the Demon Lord always went first.

On the plus side, I finally got a 255 hit point Demon Lord, which I think is the enemy cap for the game