BT3 mysteries

Any developer realated stuff
hrothulf

BT3 mysteries

Post by hrothulf »

Good day fellow adventurers!

I'm replaying (again) the BT3 (C64 version), and after that many times, still there are some information which is hidden from me.
I saw some of you looked into the code and such things, maybe you have some clues on these things.

1. What does monster special attack "stealing" do? It steals item, money or what?

2. What does exactly monster special attack "drain" do? It drains xp or level? If the character healed, is there a possibility he/she loose xp because of this (for example, after the heal, he/she is back at the start of the level)?

3. Bard songs. Is there any numerical info on what the songs do in/out combat at what level? Are there any songs which do nothing in combat (for example, the light song)?

4. Items. Now I have many questions.

4.1 What does masterkey do? (Special effect 11). Is there any version of BT3, where this effect is implemented? Same for special effect 8 (Helm of justuce, Kali's Garrote,Thieves Hood,Thief Dagger). I saw that they maybe increase your chance to hit, is that true in any version?

4.2 What extra effect 13 has over effect 2? Both regenerates sp, but some items (dmnd staff, oscon's staff, familiar fgn) have effect 13 on them, rather the "default" effect 2 for sp regen.

4.3 Does elf boots really have no special attribute in any version?

4.4 How does kato's bracer work? If the monster or any character has it, monsters cannot turn against the party? By the way, what triggers the monster party attack? Some random number in battles, or special dungeon tiles?

5. Character attributes. Is there any numerical data for BT3 about these? Like, strength gives how many to-hit, luck gives how many spell resists and what else, dex gives how many AC and how is it helping to come earlier in battle, etc...

Thank you for reading through this!
Darendor

Re: BT3 mysteries

Post by Darendor »

hrothulf wrote:1. What does monster special attack "stealing" do? It steals item, money or what?
This means that a random item in the character's party has been 'stolen' (i.e. deleted). It's gone forever.
2. What does exactly monster special attack "drain" do? It drains xp or level? If the character healed, is there a possibility he/she loose xp because of this (for example, after the heal, he/she is back at the start of the level)?
This refers to being level-drained, generally a very bad thing. Undead-esque monsters typically have this power. It can be healed at a temple.
And yes, once healed you are at 0% of the way towards the next level, experience point wise.

3. Bard songs. Is there any numerical info on what the songs do in/out combat at what level? Are there any songs which do nothing in combat (for example, the light song)?
The manual for the game outlines this in detail.
http://bardstale.brotherhood.de/talefil ... manual.txt
4.1 What does masterkey do? (Special effect 11). Is there any version of BT3, where this effect is implemented? Same for special effect 8 (Helm of justuce, Kali's Garrote,Thieves Hood,Thief Dagger). I saw that they maybe increase your chance to hit, is that true in any version?
Masterkey: Useless as far as I know, but I've heard that it can be used in place of other specific key-needing places (Cyanis' Tower, the trapdoor to Urmech's place in Ferofist's Stronghold to name 2). Might be worth checking out?
Helm of Justice: Passive AC boost; only other use is at Sceadu's effigy in Malefia.
Kali's Garrote: Thief weapon, not really too certain on its abilities.
Thieves Hood: Casts INVI, unlimited use.
Thief Dagger: Boosts thief % abilities while equipped.

4.2 What extra effect 13 has over effect 2? Both regenerates sp, but some items (dmnd staff, oscon's staff, familiar fgn) have effect 13 on them, rather the "default" effect 2 for sp regen.
I have no clue, I've never been able to actually peek into the ML code for BT 3 (or 2 for that matter). I suspect ZeroZero and Twoflower would be more knowledgeable on this.
4.3 Does elf boots really have no special attribute in any version?
As far as I know, they improve resistance to magic and breath attacks somewhat. I can't swear on it though.
4.4 How does kato's bracer work? If the monster or any character has it, monsters cannot turn against the party? By the way, what triggers the monster party attack? Some random number in battles, or special dungeon tiles?
Kato's Bracer makes an NPC unable to turn on the party while it is in their possession.
5. Character attributes. Is there any numerical data for BT3 about these? Like, strength gives how many to-hit, luck gives how many spell resists and what else, dex gives how many AC and how is it helping to come earlier in battle, etc...
Again, the manual covers this in detail.
http://bardstale.brotherhood.de/talefil ... manual.txt
Thank you for reading through this!
Anytime.
drifting

Re: BT3 mysteries

Post by drifting »

hrothulf wrote:Good day fellow adventurers!

4. Items. Now I have many questions.

13 is another spell point regen item. If you equip multiple items with effect 2, you only get one point of regen. Equipping a 2-item and a 13-item gets you two points of regen.
hrothluf wrote: 4.4 How does kato's bracer work? If the monster or any character has it, monsters cannot turn against the party? By the way, what triggers the monster party attack? Some random number in battles, or special dungeon tiles?
There are dungeon squares that turn monsters hostile. If any character has the bracers equipped then the monster won't turn hostile.
hrothluf wrote: 5. Character attributes. Is there any numerical data for BT3 about these? Like, strength gives how many to-hit, luck gives how many spell resists and what else, dex gives how many AC and how is it helping to come earlier in battle, etc...
(strength / 2) is added to your roll for to-hit
luck is added to your roll when facing a breath attack or a spell
Dexterity > 14 can get you up to a 5 point bonus
(dexterity * 2) is added to your attack priority.